Bookstyle case that doesn't use wood? other than Field Folio

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

A few months ago we had a member who owned nearly all the wooden frame book style cases: Portenzo, Dodocase, Germanbuilt, Pad & Quill, and acknowledged that all of them over time had serious warping issues due to the nature of the wood frame.

So far the only other book style case I found that doesn't use a wood frame is Field Folio (seems to be a plastic frame), but unfortunately reviews indicate they have horrible service and they refuse to update their design to accommodate the iPad 3's slightly different size and more importantly, different auto on/off requirements.

so is there any others besides Field Folio?

2. CaleM3 macrumors member

I would also like to know. I was looking at the portenzo and love the idea of the intellistand feature, but the price for a fully customized one and the warped wood problems don't sit too well with me. I did see the field folio, but it doesn't have a stand mode and like the OP mentioned, they are not updating it to have the sleep/wake function work. Can't find a case I like...

3. glen e macrumors 68030

yeah I'm the guy who owned them all for my sales staff - we had about 9 of them of all kinds...I still would buy one for business meetings as I like the concept - but need a better way to anchor the pad long term - a simple alum flat black frame would do it with cross X strips for strength. A CNC machine could do it and I'd pay 200.....
    [​IMG]

4. tasset macrumors 6502a

I'm using the bookbook by twelvesouth. No wood, all leather and soft lining. Not sure that is what you mean by bookstyle and not wood, but I like it a lot.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have the BookBook also. I use it to transport my iPad though. When I'm using it I like it to be as thin as possible so I use a back cover and a Smart Cover.

The case is great. Real leather on the outside and a very soft lining inside. I get a lot of compliments on it. Most people think its a notebook. They are always surprised that it's and iPad case.

6. Sterne macrumors member

7. poloponies Suspended

Moleskine also makes a folio case (with a paper notebook).

8. CaleM3 macrumors member

This is nice, but doesn't look like it supports the sleep/wake function. It's not listed on the website as supporting it and saw a youtube video where a guy opened the cover and did not turn on.

9. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Been looking at this for a while... http://bit.ly/JiiTUN

10. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

thanks for the link, they got really close to an ideal bookstyle case.. but could use a camera cut out, and for some, a stand feature like on the portenzo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wonder if Glen_e would consider this? :D

11. eg2007 macrumors 6502

True. After all, he IS the man of a thousand cases.

I don't mind it without the camera cutout. I don't use my iPad for a camera. After tax and shipping, the total came out to $71. Not sure if it's worth it. So I haven't ordered yet. There's another one on Amazon called The Grifiti. No mag sleep/wake. But it was only $20, so I tried it out. Actually not that bad, but I did send it back because of the no magnet thing. I'd like one for meetings. Love the style, but do not want a wooden frame. Strangely enough, always just go back to my i-Blason/Apple Smart Cover combo.

12. tetsurouh macrumors newbie

iDreamCase

I just found this site.

http://idreamcase.com/

It seems they make what you looking for. They have a case, all in white which I have never seen!
    Their Facebook site has a lot of pics.

13. glen e macrumors 68030

Spiegen valentinus...mine great after 4 months....

14. jcliden macrumors member

15. glen e macrumors 68030

I think it's very telling that Portenzo, the big wood frame maker, has decided to offer a non wood frame model ("Hardback") for the mini...got one on order and will report here....

16. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I'll be really interested to hear your opinion, Glen. I've been in touch with them about standing the case up in landscape mode. They told me today it will do that but "it isn't very sturdy".

17. glen e macrumors 68030

I don't see how it can be very good at that, but we'll see....