Boomwave iPhone 3G Case - Nice Look (Poor mans Vaja Ivolution?) - Large Pics Added

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aphexii, Jul 25, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

http://www.theboomwave.com/shop/modules/shoppingcart/list-items.php?catID=25

I dunno, I just really kinda like the design (of the top 3, bottom 2 not so much). Looks like it was inspired by the Vaja Ivolution, but at about 1/4 the price its quite a bit more attractive to me.

I was close to buying a Foofpod this weekend as I liked my iPhone first gen naked for use (except in my pocket), but this might sway me. I was turned off to hard cases after my Agent 18 scratched the hell out of my first gen (wasn't debris either, it was the black seems of the case itself), but I dunno.

Anyone know if they have made cases before? Ever try one?

EDIT: They just e-mailed me some higher res pics, I think I might snag one, I really like the look;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's kinda disappointing. Looks like they are in Hong Kong?

Registered Post: 2-3 week delivery is $5.99
    Fedex: (Doesn't say how long) is $21.87 (nearly the same price as the case)

Though, I have had good luck with Registered Post deliveries from Hong Kong before, nothing ever got lost, I just hate the wait. A CP for my lens once took nearly a month to arrive from HK :(

3. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

I sent them an e-mail requesting larger pics, so i'll gladly update if they send any.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. wronski macrumors 6502

I like the white and red plastic ones; they look nice. The leather ones look cheesy. After thinking a bit about it I've decided not to buy the $100 Vaja, simply too expensive. Maybe you should change the title to "Reasonable Man's Ivolution."

6. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but I think that will depend on the quality of these. Vaja's are considered top of the line, dunno how these will compare in person.

7. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

They just e-mailed me the higher res pics, not sure how the feel in hand but I really do like the look.

8. wronski macrumors 6502

I agree. I'm going to go ahead and pick one up.

9. wronski macrumors 6502

Mine shipped yesterday via registered mail; we'll see what these are like soon enough.

10. maddan macrumors regular

I find the design to be quite attractive. I do not understand, though, how you can possibly call that a poor man's Vaja case. Not even close...

11. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm referring specifically to price.

Vaja $85
    Boomwave $23

12. wronski macrumors 6502

Obviously there's a compromise in craft in comparison to the Vaja but it's similar to the ivolution in function and shares a clean look too. They could very well be horrible but if it turns out to be equally well produced as it looks in the photo then I'll be satisfied.

13. maddan macrumors regular

Oh, okay. Well, then, I completely agree with you on that ;).

14. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

15. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

16. ASN21 macrumors member

17. arcsbite Guest

would you buy the poor man's version of the iPhone?

18. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

:rolleyes: Pretty poor analogy.

Anyways, I'm curious (actually, concerned) about the home button being covered and wondering how the raised bump over it will affect the button, both functionally and aesthetically (the latter assuming you eventually change cases or go naked). Look forward to hearing first hand impressions from those of you who ordered it.

19. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure I follow.

20. arcsbite Guest

I was just hinting that comparing the "look" to a more expensive case does not guarantee you'll get the same overall experience.

21. arcsbite Guest

not at all, 2 products, looking very similar, with massive price differences doesn't always mean a bargain.

22. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

No doubt, but it also doesn't mean its crap until someone tries it or reviews it. The fact is, we just don't know yet. In each of my previous posts, I simply was talking about the look and the price, nothing as to quality as I've never used one. However, I do think its a reach though to analogize the cheap iPhone clones to this case until we know more. There is a big difference between clones of a high technology item, and clones of simple protective case.

23. wronski macrumors 6502

I got mine earlier this week and it turns out to be pretty nice! I'm completely satisfied with the quality and it looks good. When I pulled it out of the box I gave it a thorough inspection and was upset with a few areas but it turned out to just be adhesive that rubbed off. My only qualm now is that it makes the sleep/wake button a little bit inaccessible but I've gotten used to it now (kind of have to twist my hand and press it sideways). Definitely worth $25. It ships from Malaysia so if you end up using the standard shipping (I did so) you have to wait about 2.5 weeks to get it and there's a lack of updated tracking information (and given information is very cryptic).

Photo 18.jpg

Photo 19.jpg

24. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! Looks good!

Hows the inside, nice and soft?

Also, I assume its just the camera/webcam, but is it brighter red in person?

25. wronski macrumors 6502

The inside isn't all that soft (a simple thin layer of felt type material) but it's enough to keep it from getting scratched by the case. The whole case is actually much softer than I thought it would be considering it's plastic.

The red color, at least in my instance, is not as bright as the press photo and much more like pictures I took, a deeper wine-like red color.