Booq Viper M3 vs Viper M3, GTR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vinsanity93, Feb 17, 2011.

1. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Twylon material used in the Viper GTR is a woven blend of cotton, wool and synthetic fibers, including nylon. The Vyper M3, however, uses 1682D cross-weave ballistic nylon as the outer coating, which is pretty tough stuff. My guess is if your MBP slid off the roof of your car and went sliding down the street, it would be better protected in the ballistic nylon Vyper than it would be in the Twylon Viper. That being the case, since you're unlikely to go street surfing or protecting your head from shrapnel with your MBP, it's a matter of which surface appeals to you more.

I can personally vouch for the Vyper, having dropped my MBP down a flight of wooden stairs, wrapped only in its Vyper M3 sleeve. Not a dent or scratch or problem at all. Best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve.

2. vnle macrumors 6502

I have the Booq Vyper M3 sleeve and it provides very good protection for my macbook. I definitely recommend the ballistic nylon over the other one just because it's a tougher material. Can never be too careful! :D

However, it is a bit of an annoyance to open it up all the way and slip the macbook pro in and out. :eek:

3. Chilla Frilla macrumors member

Chilla Frilla

BMW M3?

Dodge Viper?

Nissan GT-R?

Definitely the M3 my friend.

4. Pak^Man macrumors regular

In cars... GTR!!

In sleeves.... the M3 (based on what GGJstudios explained).

I personally have the M3, and I can definitely vouch for how good, light, and tough it is. Awesome buy!!!

5. Vod Kanockers macrumors newbie

Another vote for the M3. Love mine, and actually love the zippered closure...I find it easier to put on the MBP than a slipcover.

6. Steve Sisk macrumors newbie

Viper M3 for 2011 MB Pro?

I just received my Booq M3 in the mail today to replace my Incase neoprene sleeve. I like the case, but I do have a few concerns.

First, I notice that there is not much padding in the case. The outside is hard and durable, but there is very little protection offered from the inside. Also, I feel like the MB might slide around a little inside the case.

Second, and related to the lack of padding, is my concern that the zipper might come into contact with the MB when zipping up, particularly at the corners. I'm a little obsessive about my MB, and I'm concerned with gradual wearing away of the brushed aluminum along the sides of the computer. Has anyone else used the Viper M3 long enough to attest as to whether or not this happens? It happened to my iPad with the Sena Folio, and I'd like to avoid it happening again.

As has already been mentioned, the complete unzipping is a bit of a pain, but this is minor compared to the above concerns.

Also- Are there any attractive/effective alternatives you might suggest to the M3?

Thanks for your help!

7. vnle macrumors 6502

I've used the M3 for the past year or so and have not noticed any defects to my mbp. There's enough of a barrier there for the zipper to not touch the mbp. As for it sliding around, mine wraps pretty tightly around my mbp so I wouldn't worry about that.

Alternatives: Waterfield or a simple one with no padding

I have both and they're really good.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I once dropped my MBP down a flight of wooden stairs, wrapped only in the Vyper M3. Not a dent or scratch on it. Zero damage. I'd say the padding did its job quite well.
    When zipped, there is no movement at all of my MBP inside the sleeve. It's a snug fit.
    After 3 years of regular use, I've never had the zippers contact the MBP. You'd have to go out of your way to intentionally make that happen. It won't happen with normal use.
    After 3 years, no marks or wear of any kind on my MBP. It looks the way it did when I first took it out of the box.
    I haven't found that to be a pain at all. The zippers are sturdy and strong, but they don't require too much effort to zip.

I've been extremely pleased with the form, function, durability and protection of the Vyper, and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a protective sleeve for their MBP.

9. Steve Sisk macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you for the replies. The M3 is definitely a quality sleeve; I'm just not sure if it's exactly what I'm after.

I'm a former owner of the Tom Bihn Brain Cell, and although I didn't care for the Smart Alec or Brain Bag, I found the Cell to be terrific. Now I'm considering trying out the new Booq Boa Flow (M), and I'm curious as to whether the computer compartment in this would fit the Brain Cell well.

I've contacted the store, but does anyone here have any idea about whether this would work? How about Booq bags in general? I like the look of them on the site, but the reviews I've seen have been love/hate. I like what appears to be their substantial quality and storage space. Two of the things I liked least about the Bihn bags were the lack of storage and their lightness/lack of material. Lightweight is fine, but these just seemed like a bit of cloth or something to me.

Thanks again! Your insights are very helpful to an inexperienced customer purchasing offline. It's tough to gauge is you can't see it yourself, but your suggestions are great reference points.