Booq Vyper XL2 for 17" Unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 20, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Will this sleeve work for the new unibody MBP?

And for current owners of this sleeve (even if for the non-unibody), do you like it or don't like it? Let me now what you think of this sleeve.

Does it look really nice with the MBP in it?

Thanks!

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You prob wanna post a link. Pretty well everyone is too lazy to look it up themselves.

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was asking people who already own it, so I am not sure what I would need to link them for.. hehe..

4. MidwestStuck macrumors member

Well, the unibody 17" just came out, so I doubt that many have gone out to buy that specific sleeve for their new computers. However, I did take a look at the sleeve, and I noticed that it's for the old 17" MBP. I think that the new MBP MAY fit, but you're better off waiting until Booq releases a sleeve for the unibody 17".

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just contacted Booq. They said that it fits with the new unibody 17" MBP. It was tested at Macworld in San Francisco in January. Also, if you look on their website.. if you choose "find your laptop" at the top of the screen, and select Apple, and "new 17-inch Macbook Pro".. it leads you to the Vyper XL2.

They said they do not plan to make a new sleeve for the unibody 17" MBP because the current one fits it like a glove.

6. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

7. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

I have had this bag for 2+ years. I like it, but I have one problem with it: the laptop goes between your back and your stuff. If your bag is loaded, your stuff will be pressing against the laptop. I think this has been the cause of dark blotches on my late 2006 15" MBP. The screen was replaced once in Oct 07 and it redeveloped these blotches.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have the booq Vyper M2 for my 15" MBP. It's the best sleeve I've ever seen for a notebook, offering better protection than any neoprene sleeve. Well worth the investment!
    The XL2 IS for the new unibody MBP. It fits perfectly.

9. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input. So the problem wasn't the sleeve itself, but the weight of other material (i.e. books) compressing the laptop in the sleeve? So the Booq Vyper XL2 would be OK if there was nothing else pushing down on it besides the sleeve itself?

I'm going to be using it in a Messenger bag so I don't hope to foresee any issues.. this is the one I chose:

http://store.diesel.com/item/realge...ll-winter/Bags - Wallets/JOE/cod10/45118339ID

What do you guys think of it?

10. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

That's right. The weight of all my stuff in the backpack (a big dslr, some lenses, a big flash) are, I think the cause of the dark blotches. Too much of a coinsidence for them to appear on two consecutive screeens, around the center. My bag was not what I'd call overstuffed, I assure you, but it was not light either.

mig

11. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

How often did you use the Booq Vyper case? I'll probably only use it once a month..

12. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

I am actually referring to the Python backpack. It came with the Pythom sleeve, but I never used the Python sleeve, I didn't like it actually -duck-...

13. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

why didnt u like it?

14. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

It didn't seem it would really protect the machine. It's not "mushy" really, and there's no extra fabric protecting the machine from the zipper (not that it would really scratch the machine, I don't think this would happen). As a protective sleeve, I thought the Incase neoprene was better.

15. n0d3 macrumors regular

Anymore comments from 17" Booq users? I have the STM Rebound for my old 15" and I like the semi-hard foam material thingy, how is the XL2's shell/material like?

16. jiminy macrumors newbie

Im also looking into getting this and was thinking the same question as nod3. Any additional insight about booq would be awesome.

And I was wondering if it would be possible to fit a speck seethru satin in one of these?

17. n0d3 macrumors regular

Yeah, bumping this. I just need to know whether it is as hard as the website claims it to be.

18. quackwack macrumors member

the xl2 -i dont think it is a proper hard case, once you get it and open it up and handle it you will notice how easy it is to flex. i also returned mine because the inside material is quite coarse.

19. n0d3 macrumors regular

What did you go for in the end?

20. quackwack macrumors member

the moshi codex. it was that or a tom bihn brain cell but i went with the codex as an apple reseller here in london had it in stock so i bought it the same day. no regrets either!

21. n0d3 macrumors regular

Does it add to the thickness? I'm looking for something that I can chuck in a bagpack/messenger.

22. quackwack macrumors member

its about double the thickness / height of the mbp.

23. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

How about a timbuk2 bag or sleeve? They do not have a ton of options for your uMBP 17 but you could either pick up their specific laptop messenger (large) or go with their cordura laptop sleeves (xl). I have used one for a couple of years and I think they have a great amount of padding and stiffness.

24. jiminy macrumors newbie

has anyone paired this with the seethru satin cases from speck, Im wondering if itll fit.
    Any thoughts? is there a lot of wiggle space for the uMBP in this?