Boost iTouch's speaker?

xander1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Hoping that I'm not completely wrong:
There is a speaker inside the iTouch that is used when the alarm rings or to play the "click"-sound when you put your iTouch into standby.

First of all: is this speaker able to play all type of sounds, like music or something?
Is there a hack that can boost up the volume of this thing?
...and much more interesting:
Is there a app/hack which can make the iTouch play the sound using the internal speaker instead of the ear-pieces?

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
There is a speaker inside the iTouch that is used when the alarm rings or to play the "click"-sound when you put your iTouch into standby.

First of all: is this speaker able to play all type of sounds, like music or something?
Is there a app/hack which can make the iTouch play the sound using the internal speaker instead of the ear-pieces?
It's not really a speaker - more a piezo sounder I think and there's not really anything you can do to up the volume or make it do more useful stuff

Comment

cwolves

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I convert an mp3 to an alarm and played it through the "speaker" to test it - it sounded like garbage. I could barely make out what song it was supposed to be playing.

Comment

FunkyMonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Right behind you
uggh. This is the one reason I am envious of the iPhone.

I'm curious to how you played an mp3 file with the speaker. Just curious, no need for an elaborate explanation.

Comment

caj

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Illinois, United States

I was wondering this too, but no, and it would have horrible sound quality.

every night i hook my iPod touch to my old ghetto sony speakers and turn the volume the way up. it makes a VERY good alarm!

I wish I could set my music to the alarm tone... I would just love waking up to the beatles

Comment

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
This "speaker" is like one you would find in a computer. It makes any system beeps you might need to hear but other than that, its no good.

Comment

codingmonkey

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
How loud is it though? Can you hear it when it's in your pocket? Does the speaker go off when a calendar event is coming up?

Comment

atomicparker

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Ottawa, ON
Is there any known way yet to boost the ipod touch's speaker? If you're anywhere but in a quiet room you can't hear calendar notifications.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.