Boost Mobile??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Jun 10, 2014.

1. puma1552, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

puma1552 macrumors 603

So I just looked at this website - you can get an iphone at retail price, then have no contract, unlimited talk and text and 500 MB of data for a piddly $40/month. Or 2.5 GB data for $50/month.

So why are we not all doing this and telling the major carriers to F off?

I mean seriously -

-Same great phone
    -No contract
    -Tiny bill

The other thing they offer is a shrinking payment plan, where you can get an iPhone with 2.5 GB of data for $55/month, and every 6 months it drops $5 until it gets down to $40 a month. Presumably if you got it down that far you could continue getting that price if you bought a new phone later on since you have no contract?

I honestly just looked at this out of spite for the large carriers and had no idea they even had iPhones. My sister uses Boost and has for some time and is happy with it, so why aren't more people doing this? It uses Sprint's network so if your coverage for Sprint is good...well, why not?

2. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Because some of us are on family plans and if you've got multiple lines, then the cost per line becomes comparable to prepaid. :rolleyes:

Besides, I barely get any signal with Sprint and T-Mobile.

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

That's pretty much it. Prepaid makes sense for 1 or 2 lines. We only have 2 lines so it was much cheaper to just buy a phone every year or every other year and do prepaid.

4. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 603

I suppose it would depend on how many people on your plan?

My wife and I are on a family plan but it's just us two, and there's no shared data between us so there's really nothing family about it except the text messaging IIRC.

It also looks like Boost is selling a 32GB 5S for $520 instead of $650 retail, and then on top of that you can get a $100 account credit afterwards. So basically a new 32GB 5S for $420. Wonder if both my wife and I would get a separate additional $100 credit.

This is seriously tempting, anything I can do to reduce expenses and avoid contracts is really something I'm interested in.

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Just start 2 new prepaid accounts and you should be able to get the credit.

6. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Yup. We have 4 iPhones and 1 iPad on our account so on AT&T, that's $170 for all 5 with 10GB of data to share. I tend to use 6-7GB of that (primarily on the iPad), ~1.5GB mom, ~1GB brother and my dad uses almost none.

Another consideration for me is I'm not sure what Boost's unlocking policy is. We tend to keep our older iPhones and use it when vacationing overseas with local SIM cards.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Since you're currently an AT&T customer I'd recommend a different option.

- Get your phones unlocked by AT&T
    - Take them to Straight Talk/Cricket/T-Mobile
    - All have better coverage service than Boost and you can just use the same phones you have now.

Straight Talk I believe is $45 per month per line for unlimited talk/text 2GB data
    Cricket is also $45 if I recall
    T-Mobile is $80 for 2 lines on your family plan, unlimited talk/text 1GB data

Then with these companies if you want buy a phone from them it's much easier to get unlocked and take to another carrier if you need to later on for whatever reason. You're not getting a Boost phone unlocked. Ever.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

T-Mobile has the exact plan for $40.