Boost Wireless Signal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liquidsuns, Apr 10, 2010.

1. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I'm hoping to get some help extending my wifi range. Googleing brings about a lot of conflicting opinions.

So I live in a guest house that's about 150ft from the main house and the 2wire gateway wireless router. We have one ethernet cable running underground into the guest house. Now, my macbook and iMac pick up the signal without any problem, but my Apple tv and Xbox weren't doing so well. So I got a "splitter" (I guess it's called) that allowed me to plug in that one ethernet cable into it and run 4 more ethernet cables in the guest house. So the Apple tv and Xbox and okay now.

However, my iPhone and iPad can't obviously benefit from the ethernet and they just barely pick up the wifi signal. So my question is this: can I get another wireless router and plug in an ethernet cable into it so that the wifi signal is strong in the guest house? Do I need some special kind of router, like an access point or something? Can I use an Airport Express to do this with a 2wire gateway router? Would it work okay, and be easier, if I put an ethernet cable into my iMac and just shared it's internet connection?

Any and all opinions appreciated.

2. maczach16 macrumors member

maczach16

If you bought a wireless router and plugged it into the Ethernet cord coming from the main house into the guest house, it should give you a good wireless signal for all of your devices. Some wireless routers also double as just a normal router that has many outputs so you can plug Ethernet cords into your devices and have wireless internet.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

You might try extending your wireless network with an Airport Express--I only mention that since that is how I would do it but I guess evan at $100 there are probably less expensive wireless routers that will do.

4. liquidsuns thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay cool. So i can just get a normal wireless router and plug it into ethernet in the guest house and it will be wireless and the original wireless router can still be wireless, too? This is what I was hoping. Thanks guys.