BoostA/B Fan speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by justflie, Jun 9, 2009.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Hey guys,

It seems my Mac Pro 2009 is significantly louder than it was when I first got it. Not loud, but louder. My BoostA/B fan speeds are at 1112/3 RPM all the time now. I can't get them to go down. Is this normal or should I head to the Genius Bar? I've seen other peoples' speeds in the 800 range. I know it's springtime, but I'm in a basement and it's pretty chilly down here. Ambient in the case is 26 C right now. Cpu A/B are reporting 34/27 C respectively via iStat Pro v4.8.

Thoughts?

*edit* I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but I'll try resetting the SMC/PMU/Whatever 3 letter acronym the Mac Pro uses for power management and will see if that fixes it. Your input on your fan speeds as well as just random thoughts on the issue would still be appreciated.

2. osin macrumors 6502

It seems that they really run to fast. I would say try to dust them off but since it is 2009 model I don't think those fans are dirty already ;)
    You can download software FanControl to lower the rpms but there is probably a good reason that they are spinning so fast... But if nobody else will chime in with better suggestion or known issue, trip to the Apple store will be your best bet...

3. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Thanks for the help. I'm really trying to avoid lugging this to the apple store. I've tried resetting the SMC but that didn't help. I checked for dust but, as you guessed, there really wasn't much on such a new machine.

Any other ideas?

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It's summer and Apple fixed the SMC so that the fans actually work in the 2009 models. 1100 ~ 1200 RPM is right about what it should be - especially considering that the 2009 runs hotter and uses 20% - 30% more power than the 2008 models. Sounds backwards doesn't it? It's not though. :(

You don't want it quiet!!! You want it cool!!!

If you just have to have it quiet then buy a sound-proof audio rack enclosure for it. :D