Boosting Airport Reception Signal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cave12man, Apr 30, 2007.

1. cave12man macrumors member

Posted this once already but wanted to revise my question. Was wondering if there is a way to boost your reception to get a greater number of connections. I live on top of a restaurant and am not able to get my own internet connection. I was connecting to someone near me but they have moved so i was wondering if there was a way to boost my reception signal as to possibly connect to others around me that my airport cant connect to right now. Running a G4 mac desktop.

chris

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

There is an antenna you can buy for the AirPort Base Station depending on what model of AirPort you have. There's actually one that hangs on a wall its so big. That may do the trick.

Just do a google search and you'll find some.

3. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

4. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

Checked out those anntenas a while ago before i realized they were for the base station, which unfortunetly i dont own do to the lack of an internet connection to connect to it. As for the pringles can will it work for a desktop with airport and not a laptop?

also has anyone seen one of these anntenas for a desktop that will boost their reception?

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Let me get this right, you want us to tell you how to steal wireless internet from someone...:eek: :eek:

6. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

i guess so...but just trying to get back what ive given

any other time ive been able to broadcast a wireless signal i help whoever needs it

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

ah, the age old question of whether two wrongs make a right.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Can you be my neighbor so then I can steal your wireless and cancel my high-speed internet? ;)

9. ac-mac macrumors member

I think it is legal to 'steal' a wireless connection if:
    1) You do not crack WEP/WPA or any other security means to get it
    2) You do not search/take/modify/share/do absolutely anything with the person you are 'stealing' from

It also depends on your morals. I personally steal my neghbours internet connection, and regularly indulge in online gaming and download 3-4 DVDs a day and couldn't care less (I know he has often exceeded the limit on his broadband because he is good friends with my dad and I overhear them talking about it sometimes), on the other hand some people think it is not okay to use 3-4GB of bandwith but simply checking email is fine. Either way it is legal as long as you don't do one or both of the things I mentioned earlier.

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

how is it legal to bandwagon off a service someone else is paying for so you don't have to pay for it yourself?

using any of that person's wireless makes their connection slower, which means you are preventing them from getting what they paid for.

to avoid getting myself in trouble or risk closing of the thread, that's all i'll say about that.

11. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

probably should have mentioned this earlier and may have avoided the whole moral battle but the people that i was "stealing" as everyone so calls it from happened to be good friends of mine as ive been living next to them for 3 years and we made an agreement to split the bill for the connection. that being im not saying i refuse to pay for a connection and would rather steal others', but unfortunately i can not have one because of where i live. would just like some help to see if there was a way to boost my reception so i could check my email once in a while.

12. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You could always use dialup? I've been stuck on dialup for 12 years now. And I still can't get broadband beyond spending hundreds of dollars for satellite. Yes, it sucks, but its better than nothing.