Boosting airport signal

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac'nCheese, May 15, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What's a cheap device I can buy that will extend my airport signal? The new blu-ray in the basement barely can pick up my wireless network. And where do you put such device, halfway between the airport and the area you want to reach or in the area you want to reach? Thank you.

2. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Can you change the antenna on your airport? Maybe look at a high gain version?

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

There aren't many reliable WiFi repeaters. I would say that the AirPort Express is actually on the cheaper end. However, this will cut your raw bandwidth in half. If you are merely streaming from Netflix/Hulu/whatever on the Internet, it probably won't be a problem. However, if you are streaming HD quality files over a repeater you will likely notice some performance issues.

The best way to do what you want to do would be to run Ethernet to the BluRay player. Failing that, I would recommending running Ethernet from the AirPort as near as possible the BluRay player, then attaching an access point.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thanks all. I moved the airport from the desk to the floor and that worked just well enough to update firmware and start Netflix but will keep all this advice in mind..