Boosting volume levels in iTunes ??!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alaimo, Oct 11, 2008.

1. alaimo macrumors newbie

Once I create a mix in iTunes, then burn it to a CD, the volume levels are too low. The end result that I desire is to be able to load my iTunes-burned CD onto a 5-disc CD player and have the iTunes music play at a comparable level to the sound from the commercially-produced CDs. But it is consistently 30-50% "quieter" by comparison.

I know about Sound Check within iTunes, which equalizes all to a uniform level (I leave it "off"). I've also boosted the "volume adjustment" within the options box for each track. That only boosts sound when the song is played on your computer, but not when the tracks are burned to a CD.

Anyone have a solution? Couldn't the Apple engineers create such a "sound boost" feature into the burning process?

2. alaimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Part Two, my VOLUME issue continued

My solution was going to be: importing songs into Audacity, boosting levels or gain, then exporting as WAV files. Then again importing into iTunes to be able to output a CD with volume levels consistent with commercial CDs. NOPE! iTunes "dumbs down" everything to the same level. This may be a safeguard of some kind but it frustrates the heck out of me.

My next plan of attack was to bypass iTunes entirely burning the music files to CD using Toast. Believe it or not, the volume levels are all too high! Yes, much louder. Not good.

So, I'm back to Audacity trying to lower gain or volume levels -- but the re-saved (to WAV) files don't play more quietly... meaning my loudness changes in Audacity were not made to the file when exported.

Crapola, this whole thing is a pain.... any ideas, anyone??

3. Carl Abudephane, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. alaimo thread starter macrumors newbie

iVolume is the solution - - - Wonderful!

Carl's sage advice was the winning answer.... a wonderful freeware (!!!) program called iVolume that locks into iTunes and reworks any unprotected songs to give them a needed boost! The great news is that the end results are evident both when you play them on your computer or iPod.... AND when you burn the cuts to a CD. Woo-Hoo! This is huge! Thanks again, Carl.