Boosting WIFI for Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gfh123, Jan 2, 2011.

1. gfh123 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to the mac world but have just ordered a macbook air - exciting times!

The problem is I'm going to be using it in a fairly big house and from experience the WIFI doesn't stretch much further than a room or two. I'm going to be using my MBA right at the top of the house so have been looking at the best ways to extend the WIFI up there but it's all a bit confusing.

I can't remember what router is currently there apart from the fact it's a Netgear, and I'm sure there's room for improvement, but I don't think it would be enough of an improvement to serve the whole house.

From what I can tell the best bet would be to get an access point, and have come across the Netgear Rangemax WN802Tv2, but just wondering if this is likely to work with my MBA? Has anyone had experience with this bit of kit?

Alternatively, has anyone got any other suggestions? I know there's the possibility of getting an adapter to go through the wires in the house but as far as I can tell that would need an ethernet cable which is a bit of a problem as far as the MBA is concerned....

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any 802.11N router should give you plenty of range, especially if it is in the 5GHz mode.

TEG

PS- I work in tech support for an ISP and have to answer this question daily.

3. omeletpants macrumors regular

I have a very long range style house and use an Airport Extreme and also an Express as an extender/repeater to get coverage.

The funny part is that the Extreme covers my entire house EXCEPT for the last 5 feet to a office desk in the kitchen. If I move the laptop those 5 feet I get 5mb throughput. Move it those 5 feet and it drops to 700kb or no coverage. 5 lousy feet.

4. gfh123 thread starter macrumors newbie