Boot = Blank gray screen to black with blinking cursor...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RogWilco, Jul 28, 2011.

1. RogWilco macrumors newbie

So I think I may have seriously borked this thing. It's a core solo mini that I had set up to dual boot OS X snow leopard and windows 7. Everything worked great until I did a hard shutdown after win 7 froze.

Now all I can do is watch it boot up with a blank gray screen, and then eventually switch to a black screen with a blinking underscore cursor. It won't respond to any keyboard combos while booting (can't hold [opt] to select a boot device, can't hold [cmd]+[V] for verbose booting, or just about any other key combo that is documented).

So am I more or less completely screwed? Is there anything else I can try before I go to an apple store to be told the cost to repair it is 3x the market rate for a replacement on eBay? Could it be bad ram or a fried CPU?

2. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

are you very technically experienced? i would replace the HDD (about $30 for a 250gig usually). Try booting off an external drive.

3. RogWilco thread starter macrumors newbie

More or less - I've already opened up the case to upgrade the HDD and RAM.

I may just try swapping back to the original HDD but I'm worried that if it won't even respond to the keyboard (I've tried multiple working keyboards), it may not make much difference if I can't select a boot device. :(