Boot Camp 2.1 Killed my Flashed 8800!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tbarr, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Tbarr macrumors member

For a while anyway...
    What the heck was all that about?
    I ran the update, in XP Pro 32 bit, then restarted to black screens. I scratched my head, then restarted (hard) to more black screens. Then I moved the mouse and saw it appear from the side that my powered down third monitor was on. It stopped when it got to the side that my previously main monitor, connected to the 8800, was on. Hmmmm...

The updater had disabled the drivers for the 8800, made the powered down monitor the main monitor, which resulted in the other monitor connected to my 2600 remain black at boot. I had to reinstall the 8800 drivers, restart, and rearrange everything.

What the heck was all that about?
    :confused:

2. almostinsane macrumors regular

It was the wrong driver for your card. The pre 2008 8800Gt and the 2008 8800GT are different cards and have different device ID's.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'd say "killed" is a strong word. But since Apple's included drivers weren't the right ones for your card, its to be expected that is might have some issues.

But there are also reports that the 8800GT for 1st Gen Mac Pros, which require beta drivers under Win XP (and I think Vista, too, but not sure) also require a beta driver re-install after the Boot Camp 2.1 update.

Personally, I'll either wait for 2.2 (which hopefully includes a proper non-beta driver for the 8800GT on 1st Gen Mac Pros), or just not update at all -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it should be everyone's Windows mantra. And I've no intention of moving to SP3 for my XP installation anyway, again since its currently working nicely now and I don't want to break it.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

5. Tbarr thread starter macrumors member

Well, I still think it's rather rude for Apple to just arbitrarily disable a Video card. Why couldn't they just leave it be? "momentarily stunned", yep that was me when I booted to TWO blank screens after the restart... twice.

I think I got these drivers through Windows Update, I'm not sure. But, they are the BETA 169.44 drivers dated 3-4-08. I checked the nVidia site and they still list the 169.21 version released 12-19-07. I don't know if that has anything to do with the rudeness ;)

Look what else I found;
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8800gt_for_mac.html
    I didn't know nVidia sold Mac cards! Free Shipping!

Oh, System Profiler says my card is;
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0611
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3233

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Did you say flashed 8800? Do you see the problem now?

7. Tbarr thread starter macrumors member

Tell you what... Update an 'official' Apple card to the Windows 169.44 drivers, run the Boot Camp update, and see what it does. I don't think there are any nVidia drivers in that update, I'll bet it deletes the drivers just the same. I'll look and see, but I think the only drivers, in that update, are for ATI.

8. Help! macrumors regular

I installed the update on a 2006 mac pro with an apple 8800 and it deleted the nvidia drivers without installing new drivers. I didn't have any black screens tho, its just in the generic vga mode or whatever its called.

9. Tbarr thread starter macrumors member

Are you ready? Are you ready for the APPLE DRIVER POLICE? That's what apparently is happening. I looked around, others are having drivers disappear. I believe it all comes down to three words, *Not Digitally Signed*

The nVidia drivers that disappeared were not signed. The ones that don't disappear are.

I couldn't find a list of drivers in the 'new' 2.1 update that just appeared, but, the numbers are familiar. That's because it's the EXACT SAME UPDATE that's on my 2008 Mac Pro Install disc... Build 210A12. I got that 'update' over a month ago! :rolleyes:

So, all I did was to remove the *Not Digitally Signed* drivers from my machine, restart, stick my Install disc in, run Boot Camp 2.1 from my disc, and all was well. Just to make sure, I ran the newly downloaded 2.1 and low and behold... My Drivers Didn't Disappear! They are the same as before the 'update'. So...

Welcome to the Apple Driver Police! All set for XP SP III...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)