Boot Camp 3.0 = BSOD after login

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RebootD, May 20, 2010.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I'm about to give up and just buy a crappy PC to do my windows testing at this point.

I'm running a 2009 Quad 2.66 MP / 8GB Ram / Stock boot drive / RAID0 under OSX / GT120

I unplugged everything minus my screen, apple keyboard and a mouse.

Before 10.6 I ran Win7 beta via Bootcamp without any issues. When the timer ran out I deleted the partition and didn't reinstall anything since. Today I decided to create a Vista -> Win7 upgrade partition so I installed Vista first (I got a free win7 upgrade disc) and everything was fine. I installed Bootcamp 2.1 and great. After I installed 3.0 and rebooted instant BSOD upon logging in. I can boot into Safe Mode but not Normal.

So I reinstalled Vista, then upgraded to Win7 without installing Bootcamp drivers and Win7 found a lot of working drivers as is. I then used my Snow Leopard disc to install Bootcamp 3.0 and BOOM right back to instant BSOD upon logging in, but this time under a fresh Win7 install.

Anyway I'm about to break something at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. awilson155 macrumors newbie

I have experienced similar problems on an ASUS laptop. The thing would reboot and get to the log-in screen, then when you log in, the screen goes black and the only thing you can do is turn it off. The problem was that the laptop had switchable graphics and there was something screwy with the way that Windows was using them or something (would work fine on the low performance gpu, but no video with the high performance gpu.) This may be similar to what you are experiencing.

If you can boot into safe mode still, do that and disable your display driver and you should be able to get back into windows in normal mode and fix it.

What GPU drivers did you install? the bootcamp provided ones? or manufacturer ones? I have had problems with the manufacturer ones, but not the bootcamp provided ones.

3. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I started to delete items that bootcamp installed and for me the offending item was the Apple HFS that allows windows to see the OSX hard drive. Once I deleted it it boots up fine.