Boot Camp 3.0 control panel missing "Startup Disk" tab

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mooglesoft, Sep 20, 2009.

1. mooglesoft macrumors newbie

If I log into Windows as a normal user (not administrator) and open the Boot Camp Control Panel, I'll be missing the Startup Disk pane. The only ones available are Brightness, Keyboard and Trackpad.

Is there any way to get the startup disk tab to appear while logged in as a normal user? I don't like the idea of having to run as an administrator all the time in Windows.

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

You know you can hold down the option key during boot to choose a boot disk. That won't change the default startup disk, but do you change your default startup disk often?

3. mooglesoft thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

Daily.

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Why?

5. mooglesoft thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it really matter?

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I really don't want to have to run as an administrator (or have to logout/login as one) just to be able to properly access the control panel.

Don't recall this happening with Boot Camp 2.0/2.1, either. I'm pretty sure that a UAC prompt would pop up and ask for an admin's password.

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Just that needing to use the control panel really seems unnecessary.

7. mooglesoft thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumping for an actual solution, not a lousy workaround.

Just re-tested with BC 2.1, doesn't seem to happen there - a UAC/password prompt properly pops up when trying to access the control panel, nothing is missing.

8. ymarker macrumors member

There is an app that lets you choose which os to boot into during startup. Found it thro google as I was having the same issue some time back. If I find the link again I'll post it.