boot camp 3.1 for vista sound problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Aleem-S, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Aleem-S macrumors newbie

Hi there i havea macbook pro and i have recently installed windows vista 32 on it using boot camp. also recently i have updated boot camp to 3.1 and my sound seems to have stopped working. Although the red light in my headphone jack is gone my speaker icon on the right hand corner has a x on it and i cannot hear anyhting now. i have cheaked my sound driver and it is up to date cirrus logic cirrus logic cs4206a (ab 77). can someone plz tell me how to get my sound working again. also my sound driver isnt disabled.

2. wayneindallas macrumors newbie

Same problem

I just bought a 17" Macbook Pro. Audio works fine in Mac OSX, but in Vista Home in Boot Camp (3.1) there is no sound and I get the little X over the speaker icon in the tray. My driver is also Cirrus and is up to date.

For my last Macbook Pro three years ago, there was never any problem with sound. So I'm guessing this is a Boot Camp 3.1 issue.

Any suggestions?

3. patrickkidd macrumors newbie

The Windows x64 drivers that come with boot camp are obviously incorrect, and after a lot of trial and error I haven't been able to find one that works elsewhere on the internet. I started another forum on apple's support site about it, and while one guy says he got it to work, I haven't seen any other people that have:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11673160#11673160

4. Daymo macrumors newbie

Has anybody managed to come up with a solution to this problem, its beginning to bug me now, i've tried numerous cirrus drivers etc. and nothing seems to be working....

5. wayneindallas macrumors newbie

Nada

I've heard nothing, which is strange since I doubt we're the only ones having this issue. My computer is brand new and I immediately partitioned it loaded Windows Vista to run under Boot Camp.

This is the exact process I went through with my last Macbook Pro, with no problems whatsoever. So I'm thinking it HAS to be the drivers loaded up with the Snow Leopard Disc or with Boot Camp 3.1.

6. wayneindallas macrumors newbie

Sound fixed. Sort of...

UPDATE: I just reinstalled (repaired) the boot camp drivers from the startup disc and I now have sound. But, now it doesn't recognize headphones. I guess I'm halfway there...

7. section31 macrumors member

I was having this problem as well after installing Vista 64 Ultimate via Bootcamp.

The volume icon had an 'X' and loading the driver manually never worked, reintsalling bootcamp failed as well.

I did a reinstall of Vista, ran bootcamp (still had the X). I figured that I might as well run the updates but decided to dl SP1 directly since it failed via Windows Update on my initial installation.

I then updated SP1 by downloading the 700MB file from the MS site instead of letting Windows update. After installation of SP1...Ouila! Sound.

8. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

I still use XP with boot camp, and it works good.

Vista seems have many problems with boot camp, maybe apple think it sucks, so don't want to support it:D

9. mallocip macrumors newbie

The culprit is one of Microsoft's infamous updates. The cure is download the latest SP1 update for Vista. I spent the better part of a Friday night into the following Saturday morning(actually until the sun came up) fooling around with this mess and finally found reference t the SP1 which makes everything all right again.

10. Unseelie23 macrumors newbie

You have to manually switch from speakers to headphones using the sound control panel in Vista. In XP and Windows 7, it's not an issue.

11. wayneindallas macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. Unseelie's antidote worked. I now have fully-functioning sound! I think my problems seemed to be fixed by repairing the Boot Camp drivers by reinstalling them. How, I don't know.

12. Whitester macrumors newbie

Whitester

i have this problem...i updated to the new bootcamp and no sound.
    how do i repair the drivers?