Boot Camp 3.1 - SLOWS NETWORK!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bennettmac, Feb 1, 2010.

1. bennettmac macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 13" Aluminium running Snow Leopard OSX 10.6. All of the latest OSX updates have been downloaded & applied. I have then installed Windows 7 Pro using Boot Camp after which I applied Boot Camp 3.0 for Windows (using the Snow Leopard disk). Everything was then running very well indeed, very impressed with the overall performance. At home for info my local set-up is a wireless router (Belkin N1 Vision) and a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive on which I store movies & other media files. Access to these files was very fast as was internet speed & download in general.

HOWEVER, I then used the Apple Updater to install Boot Camp 3.1...

After installing 3.1 this has crippled the download speed in general whether it be downloading something from the internet or simply opening a file (esp. small movie files) from the NAS drive. AS SOON as I then do a system restore to 3.0 everything is then back to normal and works well again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?! Can't really see how this could just be specific to my system?

Thanks

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

That's really odd, because I noticed a huge increase in speeds from the 3.1 update. Wireless had always been pretty shoddy for me before that, to the point where I actually just used an external USB wireless adapter that worked MUCH better than the built in WiFi.

3. bennettmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I know

Really baffled as no-one else seems to be having this issue!

Any ideas as to why this would just be specific to my set-up would be very much appreciated.

Incidentally, Windows Update ran prior to my installing Boot Camp 3.0 - not sure if that would make any difference / maybe cause some driver conflicts?

4. bennettmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess no one else has experienced this issue at all then?

Did another test; made a restore point with v3.0.0 (which is working great) and then tried 3.1 again...low & behold issues arise again with opening media files on my NAS.

Racking my brains as clearly something that's in 3.1 but can't work out why it's isolated just to me!

5. danahn17 macrumors 6502

That's really strange. Mine works fine.

Did you check to see if the update changed any of your internet, firewall, or antivirus settings? I doubt it would have changed any of that but it's worth a shot i guess.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

How did you get your SL disc to install the drivers on the windows side? Is it a disc that comes with the computer? I have a copy of SL but it isn't the two discs that come with a Mac. I haven't been able to install anything from my SL disc on my windows partition. Also I haven't been able to update to boot camp 3.1. I'm at 3.0.1 and the software update doesn't show me any boot camp update. So now I have windows 7 installed but I can't install bootcamp on windows.

7. bennettmac thread starter macrumors newbie

You use your SL disc when in windows & it will install (follow promts etc). It will also install the Apple Updater which will then give you option to install BC 3.1.

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I did that but it doesn't give me the option to install bootcamp or the Apple Updater.

9. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I noticed this too, but I don't know if it was like this before.

Over ethernet is fine. I can get about 115MB/s transfer rate from my file server.

Over wireless is slow. Only about 2-3MB/s. 54Mbps or 300Mbps, doesn't matter.

10. bennettmac thread starter macrumors newbie

FIXED!!

Was using WEP 128-bit - something in Boot Camp 3.1 doesn't like it so have switched to WPA2-PSK and now all working fine...

11. lelx470 macrumors newbie

boot camp 3.0 installation files?

Does anyone have the files needed to update boot camp 2.2 to boot camp 3.0 in order for me to be able to update to 3.1 version?

12. valvehead macrumors regular

The Boot Camp 3.0 drivers are included on the Snow Leopard disc. It's only $30. I bought mine mainly for that purpose (at some point I'll install Snow Leopard, but it's not a priority right now).

BTW, there's no need to hijack two different threads for the same question.

13. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

This happened to me as well... I threw my discs in W7 and nothing prompted me about any driver installs... soooo

You have to go into the disc itself and search for the setup file in the bootcamp directory in your SL discs.
    ie. open up my computer in W7 and search through the SL disc for the bootcamp folder and the setup file should be in there......

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Ugh, WEP. If I were that router I'd go slow to if I had to run WEP. WPA/WPA2 all the way. :) Glad to see you got it fixed.

15. typa macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem too, internet speed is very slow in window 7. I have Bootcamp version 3.1.2. could you please tell me more details of how your fix it ? where can you change WPA2-PSK?

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need to make that change at your router/WAP.

B