Boot Camp 3.2 Update uninstalls boot camp on 2006 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cokersa, Nov 21, 2010.

1. cokersa macrumors member

In retrospect, I should have ignored it when Apple Software Update told me about the Boot Camp 3.2 upgrade for my 2006 Mac Pro running x64 Win 7 ultimate. When I ran it, it overwrote my blue tooth driver and my keyboard stopped working. Thanks for the folks at Mac Rumors forums, I was able to go through the procedure to get it working again, and I also had to update the video driver (again) from ATI for my 3800.

So then I decide to reboot into MacOS and discover that my icon for selecting the boot disk was gone, not to mention any directory or programs in the start menu. This happen to anyone else? Do I have to downgrade to 3.1 or does anyone have a recommendation to get 3.2 working?

2. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and did a "repair" install of boot camp 3.1, which fixed the problem (though I had to once again fix the blue tooth keyboard issue). Anyone else been able to successfully install the 3.2 update on a 2006 Mac Pro with Win 7 x64 Ultimate?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The 2006 Mac Pro isn't officially supported for 64 bit, so it's not surprising that it didn't work out of the box.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846

B

4. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - it wasn't supported for 3.1 either, but thanks to the help of some folks on Mac Rumors forums I've been running x64 on my Mac Pro ever since Vista came out (even before boot camp was available).

I'll try to avoid starting a rant about the lack of support from Apple on an otherwise perfectly capable system. :rolleyes:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it really isn't "perfectly capable" due to the 32 bit EFI. You can't install W764 out of the box without modifying the installer. It's more of a concern that the 2006 boxes (like my iMac) aren't even officially supported for W732.

So, you probably have to upgrade to the 3.2 version of certain drivers manually by extracting them from the EXE with 7-zip and go from there.

B

6. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

I'm not following your comment about not being able to install W764 out of the box without modifying the installer. I was able to install it without any modification at all. In fact, you can install and run Windows in a Mac Pro with a second disk even without using boot camp (which is what I used to do) as long as you have a wired keyboard (hold the option key at boot to select the disk).

The only modification required was when I wanted to install boot camp 3.1, since you can't run the setup directly (it checks to see if the hardware is on it's supported list). You need to modify a registry setting so that you can run the installer program as administrator (then it installs just fine).

As to boot camp 3.2, I didn't find anything that it did to improve anything. The most current drivers for video and audio are available directly from the manufacturers. So I'm sticking with 3.1.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's odd. Everyone else has to use Jowie's method (e.g. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808440) to get a 64 bit Windows to install on the 2006 Mac Pro.

On many later Mac Pros it is as simple as you suggest. I've done just that on 2008 and 2009 Mac Pros.

B

8. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

I had to read through the thread on Jowie's method, since I had never seen it before. I can tell you unequivocally that I didn't need to do that to load x64 (either Vista or Win 7). Way back in Oct 2006 when I first got my Mac Pro and installed XP (this was pre boot camp days) I did have to slipstream some drivers into a bootable XP CD, but haven't done it since.

Frankly it has been long enough since I did the install I can't quite remember whether I used the boot camp installer program to load Win 7 or whether I just put the DVD in the drive, rebooted and hit the option key to select the bootable DVD and ran the Win 7 installer directly from the DVD. I've done both before. Just to be clear, I have a completely separate hard drive for Win 7 (I have four separate hard drives, one for MacOS, one for Time Machine, one for Win 7, and the last drive used to have Vista x64 on it), so I didn't need to worry about partitioning my MacOS drive to support Win 7, so perhaps that might be a difference?