Boot Camp 4.0 GPU Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pharonyk, Oct 26, 2011.

1. pharonyk macrumors member

I've just made the switch from the 2010 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 330M to the 2011 MacBook Pro with AMD 6750M. After using Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 7 64 bit and installed the boot camp drivers, I've noticed there were no AMD control panel installed. Is this normal? It's my first time to use an AMD (ATI) product and I'm skeptic about the lack of control panel -- unlike NVIDIA.

I've searched online and saw that people are some how upgrading their AMD drivers (with some trouble too, hah). However, I would like to understand what drivers are installed with Boot Camp 4.0 before I move on. Just curious! :rolleyes:

2. echosky81 macrumors newbie

The drivers are old ATi 11.6 or 11.7 drivers I believe from almost a year ago. I'm using 11.10 V3 Preview drivers and they work great. You can update from the stock drivers just by downloading one of the BETA preview drivers. I've found though that not all drivers install completely but generally speaking 11.10 Preview Drivers work 100% of the time and will install the Catalyst Control Center. The thing you have to watch out for is if your installer actually updates the Display driver or not, but there are always mobility modded drivers out there to get around this. A simple Google search will get you what you need.

3. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! So I see you're saying that the recent (beta) drivers that completely work are the 11.10 V3 preview drivers. But what's the most recent complete driver out there that installs fine as well?

I've been searching and see that there are a lot of different ways and ideas to install the others. I would like to know which is the most popular and recommended one to install.