Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Before, apple wouldn't let anyone download the widows support software using boot camp (except for macbook air). The only way to get the software was by installing it from the CD that came from the mac. That cause a lot of problems for people who lost or didn't have their CD's anymore. Now, with OS X Lion, you can download the widows support software straight from Apple and don't have to worry about CD's. YES... :D

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Oh this finally works in Lion? Cool. It was annoying on my 2010 Mini and 2009 iMac to have the option but it failed every time I tried.

crazy$hark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
oh, I guess then that it worked for some people, though for a lot of people it didn't work

jhencken

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
University Place, WA
I get error when I use Bootcamp Assistant to do that

The system says I'm not connected to the internet, when I am. (Diagnostics confirms) :(

Before, apple wouldn't let anyone download the widows support software using boot camp (except for macbook air). The only way to get the software was by installing it from the CD that came from the mac. That cause a lot of problems for people who lost or didn't have their CD's anymore. Now, with OS X Lion, you can download the widows support software straight from Apple and don't have to worry about CD's. YES... :D

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
The problem is Apple does not support Windows XP anymore with their Bootcam 4.0 software. I could not get it to work, I had to reinstall from m SL CD.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
lol, old news for me. Was on Macbook Airs, and it's now available for all systems. They just have to make the USB Installer for Windows 7 available for all non-ODD laptop lineups.

Dubmuds

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
I have a question regarding this matter. I am currently using an iMac i7 27-inch with 8GB RAM, running it with Mac OS X 10.6.8 - and I would really love to perform a Boot Camp and install a Windows 7 64-bit partition.

The problem is that I can't seem to find any installation CD for my Mac, and I was wondering if I HAVE to upgrade to Lion in order to skip the whole physical CD installation process?

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I have a question regarding this matter. I am currently using an iMac i7 27-inch with 8GB RAM, running it with Mac OS X 10.6.8 - and I would really love to perform a Boot Camp and install a Windows 7 64-bit partition.

The problem is that I can't seem to find any installation CD for my Mac, and I was wondering if I HAVE to upgrade to Lion in order to skip the whole physical CD installation process?

You need to buy the actual Windows 7 CD, then use the Bootcamp Assistant. When it tells you to put in the Windows 7 install disk, it will reboot and go to the Windows 7 install.

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.