Boot Camp activation help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doodlebox, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Doodlebox macrumors newbie

When trying to activate windows XP, I've come across a predicament. I need to be connected to the internet while activating, but to connect I need to install the drivers from the leopard disk. Unfortunately, I can't get on XP's desktop, which makes it impossible to access the disk (unless there is another way?)
    So, I try to activate by telephone, but it doesn't give me a phone number to receive the activation code from. So how can I activate XP?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It's been a while since I installed Windows, but IIRC, you should have 30 days from the time you install Windows to activate it. Before those 30 days are up, you should be able to use every ounce of Windows functionality; however, once you hit that 30-day limit, you won't be able to use the system at all until it's activated.

So, if those 30 days aren't up yet, just start the system up in Windows and install the drivers, then activate Windows after all the drivers are installed. (Once activated, you should immediately start running Windows Update over and over until all critical security updates and service packs have been installed)

If those 30 days have already gone by, you should be able to get by with wiping the Boot Camp partition and reinstalling Windows. That should give you another 30 days to activate Windows and plenty of time to install the drivers, etc. It's a slight hassle, for sure, but at least it'll buy you some time.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If I understand you right you start up bootcamp/windows. Then when it's starting you're getting a screen which says you need to activate it. If it's correct you should be able to say, I want to do it by phone. You'll get this window: http://gallery.raccoonfink.com/d/19186-2/windows-xp-mind-numbing-pain-edition

Just do as it says.

ps I notice this screen has no phone number, but you'll have to select your location.

4. Doodlebox thread starter macrumors newbie

So, how do I reset the partition?