Boot Camp and EXISTING hard drive with XP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rmpstudio, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rmpstudio macrumors member

If i take my hard drive out of my PC and install it in one of my mac pro drive bays and boot up using boot camp will everything work ok (assuming i install the correct drivers from the leopard disk)??????

I just don't want to buy another copy of XP/Vista and i don't want to do a partition or buy another hard drive if i don't have to.

And.. i just realized a potential issue... if it's an IDE drive,.. is there an adapter that will allow me to install it in the Mac Pro or am i Fubar'ed?

Thoughts??

2. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

My thoughts are that you shouldn't post the same message twice and start a new thread after hijacking a previous thread.

3. bamf macrumors 6502

... and see my reply to your previous post...

4. rmpstudio thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your thoughts.

I posted on the OP thread that i was hijacking the thread only after it was obvious that his answer was met and the topic as deteriorating and i posted my own because i doubted my question would be seen otherwise and i wanted to increase the chances of getting an answer.

I appreciate your thoughts but if you were trying to make i point, i'm not sure i got it.

5. rmpstudio thread starter macrumors member

i'm not sure i understand why the chipsets are relevant in this scenario but wouldn't be so if i simply installed XP on a virgin hard drive. I've never used boot camp but i'm assuming that it facilitates the boot to some degree - am i wrong?

Am i just being ignorant?

6. bamf macrumors 6502

In the PC world - it's really not possible to move a hard drive (boot drive) from one PC to another unless the motherboards are the same. While it is possible, just expecting to pop it in and have it boot off of a new motherboard is not something you can expect. You will more than likely blue screen upon boot doing something like this.

I would expect the same issues to occur moving a working XP installation into a MP. I've never done that, but that would be my assumption.

I've built PCs for 15 years now, and what you are asking to do does not work well IMHO.

7. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

YES.