Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galganog

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2006
So i pre ordered leopard. but i also have boot camp and a bunch of games installed.

How does leopard go about installing boot camp, will it wipe it from my hard drive or do an in the back ground update?

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Leopary SHOULD just replace the necessary files and nothing else. None of your data SHOULD be touched.

Though when doing a full OS upgrade, always make a backup. ;)

J

jasdelta

So i pre ordered leopard. but i also have boot camp and a bunch of games installed.

How does leopard go about installing boot camp, will it wipe it from my hard drive or do an in the back ground update?

Since Leopard is Mac OS and bootcamp is a separate Windows partition, the install will not touch that partition. You might have to burn another drivers disc thought and run it within your Windows OS.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
As stated by Apple, the Windows drivers are on the Leopard DVD.

Yep. I just upgraded all three of my machines (no problems so far) and my MacBook Pro has Boot Camp and WinXP installed. There was no indication anything had happened to it during install but when Leopard finished, I restarted and held down the ALT key to get into Windows which booted fine. The Leopard DVD appeared to Windows as 'D: Boot Camp' and when I clicked it the driver installer started. It took a few mins to update everything and that was that. Games all work fine. Parallels also works fine. The only casualties so far are Fan Control on my MBP so I have installed SMCfancontrol which works with Leopard and the loss of classic on my two G4s. Also, VirtualPC brings up a small complaint about networking but otherwise seems to work but I think I'll remove it anyway as I don't really need it any more.

Speed on the G4s is maybe a touch slower than Tiger or maybe I am just imagining things. MBP feels fine. Don't like the transparent menu bar.

Funny how a brand new OS runs fine on four year old hardware (10.5 on iBook G4) but my brand new PC (bought as a server) came with Windows Vista and can barely function even though it works very well with CentOS 5. So glad I bought XP Pro for Boot Camp and not Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.