Boot Camp and Parallels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kelly™, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Hello,
    I did some google searching and found a website talking about how the new version of parallels allows you to select a Boot Camp partition to boot from.
    I have a few questions for anyone who knows or has experience in this.

I plan on putting Windows XP on my bootcamp partition for now, Vista as soon as I can get my hands on a MBP that handles 8GB ram (year or so I assume).

1. Are there any problems with this as far as windows activation goes? I know enough about Microsoft operating systems that this would make me think that the change of hardware would freak the MSOOBE out.
    2. How about graphics? I know I can have full 3D excelleration when booting into XP via boot camp, but what about through paralells? Are we talking no 3D? Limited? I don't expect to play games through it, but im just curious.
    3. Performance issues with leopard if I assign 1GB of my 4 to parallels when it is running?
    4. Does parallels only use the 1GB when I start the XP machine or does it take it from me at boot?
    5. Are there any other problems I should expect or is this somewhat decent?

Cheers/Regards,
    Kelly

2. heads up macrumors member

heads up

1) Not if it's a legal version.
    2,3,4) In parallels, you can assign how much system and video memory windows gets. So assign a lot if you want to do some intensive work.
    5) If you have Leopard, make sure you have the latest version of Parallels. When I first upgraded to Leopard, I had lots of issues with an older version of Parallels crashing. Then Parallels released an update that seemed to solve everything.

3. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you much for the advice.
    You still didn't answer if the parallels software takes the gig from you at boot and never gives it to you or if it only uses it when you fire up the program?

--Kelly

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It only uses the memory when Windows is launched in Parallels.

5. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular