Boot Camp and VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1/4 lb & bigmac, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 1/4 lb & bigmac macrumors newbie

1/4 lb & bigmac

Hello,

Is it possible to use both Boot Camp and VMware Fusion to access a particular virtual Windows PC? And if so, which should I set up first?

Thanks.

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question but you can install windows onto a partition and use vmware fusion to access windows while under osx.
    You would have to use bootcamp first then when you launch vmware fusion it should have the bootcamp partition already in there.

3. 1/4 lb & bigmac thread starter macrumors newbie

1/4 lb & bigmac

Okay, thanks... I was curious as to whether VMware and boot camp can both be utilized, but at different times of course. For example, if I need to access Windows to run a PC game, it is probably better to run it through Boot Camp, whereas with everyday simple tasks, VMware could be used. But from what you said, it looks like this is possible.

Thanks!

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I use VMWare all the time and it works great. Remember this is a Mac program so you get into Windows from the Mac. Boot Camp you reboot to get into windows. That would be a better way to play games but for everyday Windows use, Fusion VMWare is A1...

5. Zerozal macrumors 6502

VMWare Fusion can import an existing Boot Camp partition to use as the Windows Virtual Machine. The quickest setup then, in my opinion, would be to use Boot Camp first to install Windows, then point Fusion to the existing partition and let it import.

As you realize, if you are going to be running 3D games, you'll want to reboot the Mac into native Windows using Boot Camp. If you're just doing other usundry Windows stuff, Fusion is the way to go.

6. Patrick946 macrumors regular

It's a shame that 3D games won't run well in Fusion, since that's the only reason I installed Windows in the first place. It would have been nice to be able to play a game while listening to iTunes.

Is there any way to access my iTunes files while running windows?

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Through VMWare there is. I have it running through the Mac before I start VMWare and never had a problem.

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

That is exactly how I have Windows on my Mac set up. Installed first through Bootcamp, then when I installed Fusion it set up the Bootcamp partition as one of its VMs automatically.

9. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

i have Parallels Desktop 4 its much faster than Fusion and i can run most games that i want they have a list of games supported on there website i would suggest getting parallels atm because its just much more advanced than VMware plus there planting trees for every purchase right now:)

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your assessment of Parallels being "faster" and "more advanced" than Fusion is subjective at best. Many Fusion users would argue the opposite.

The best thing to do is to download the trial versions of both and try them yourself if you have questions.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I bought Parallels and used it for a year. I even bought the upgrade to V4 but than Fusion had a deal to buy there software for $10 for Parallel users. I thought for $10 I will try it as I was not 100% happy with Parallels. I love Fusion so much, I uninstalled Parallels. Parallels gave me little headaches with bugs. I haven't had any problems with Fusion...

12. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

well there was a survey took comparing VMware and Paralles that took 4 months and it came out to be that Parallels was 20% faster i think VMware was faster at only one thing and that was running XP on two CPUs Parallels was faster at everything else

13. drewster macrumors member

Does it import it, or does it simply use it as on the other partition?

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

Can this be done with the Windows 7 release candidate? I currently have that installed via bootcamp. I had parallels 3.0 with windows xp but that bombed and deleted it.

Thinking of buying Fusion to setup with the Win7 I already have running.

Anyone doing this?

-Allen