Boot Camp Assistant: Can't partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Huddle, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Huddle macrumors member

Hi, today I tried to partition 25gb of my late 2006' Macbook Pro to Windows as I want to play League of Legends. Whenever I try this it will load for up to 15 minutes, before telling me I need to repair the disk.

So I go into Disk Utilities to try and repair it, but the option isn't available.
    So it tells me to verify disk if repair isn't working. Great, so I go ahead and do this and it says ' The volume Alphamac 12 needs to be repaired
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed ''

Where do I go from this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd recommend that you start your computer using the Mac OS X Install DVD, then run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. From there, you should be able to repair your start-up volumes file system using the "Repair Disk" option under the First Aid tab.

4. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

How would this be done? I've inserted the disc and all, but start up using it?
    This might sound stupid to you but I'm unsure.

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Hold the C key down whilst booting up your mac

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You start up off of your DVD drive by holding "C" on startup. Then after selecting your language, the menu bar appears, and disk utility is there. Just like any other Operating System, you cannot repair a disk while the disk is being used to run the OS.

TEG

7. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

Ye that was what I thought - thanks a lot though.

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK38iCSgZI
    ----

Try Disk Utility
    Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
    When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
    Click the First Aid tab.
    Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
    Select your Mac OS X volume.
    Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
    Tip: Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.
    --
    EDIT:: Above copy/pasted from Apple

9. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

After doing exactly what you said I restart my computer and open BCA, I try to partition it and this time it says '' The disk can not be partitioned because some files cannot be moved ''

What now?

10. Coburn macrumors newbie

Coburn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

You most likely need to defrag your hard drive. iDefrag is free for a trial I believe. There are also others, such as drive genius, that may be more effective.

11. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

What would that do?

12. Coburn macrumors newbie

Coburn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Basically, it would organize/consolidate your hard drive letting disk utility partition much easier. Over time hard drives become fragmented, even with OS X, and do need to be defragmented.

13. Suanmiao macrumors member

i had the same problem, osx hangs forever when i did the first bootcamp partition, so i did a cold restart and the bootcamp partition seems stucked, can't install windows on it or wipe it out.
    i used Disk Warrior to repare that partition booting from my backup osx from a external driver, and that fixed the problem.
    hope that helps!