Boot camp assistant couldnt partition the drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ravich, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Something about not being able to move certain information. It told me to back up my files, reformat the drive, and the move the information back.

I am assuming that it's because I have a SSD as a boot drive. What's the best way of going about backing up my boot drive and dealing with this? I have time machine of course, but I've heard that that wont solve the problem that SSDs have when the OS doesnt support whatever its called (process that keeps SSDs clean?).

Does that make sense? Anyone able to help?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What's your hardware configuration ? Do you also have an HDD? What isvyour desired partition scheme?

B

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do have HDDs in my Mac Pro, but from what I understand, I can only install windows on my boot drive, and more importantly I think that because OSX 10.6 doesnt have TRIM, I have to clean my drive up sooner or later anyway.

Are you suggesting that I just install OSX on one of my HDDs and then install boot camp from there?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is no need for Boot Camp Assistant on the Mac Pro.

What I have usually done to install on a dedicated drive is remove all the other drives, insert the Windows install disc and reboot from the install disc. Proceed as if it was a regular PC install. (Unless of course it is a Mac Pro 1,1 and you want to instal 64 bit, in which case you need to do more work).

B

5. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's no disadvantage to not having a separate partition for windows? I'd be using a drive that already has other storage on it.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The best approach on the Mac Pro is a dedicated drive for Windows. (IMHO). If that other storage is an NTFS partition then it's identical to having a dedicated drive.

If you can't do that then you'll need to repartition manually to put Windows on a drive other than your primary drive.

B