Boot Camp Assistant doing nothing, not asking for ISO file

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by recyclethepanda, Aug 19, 2014.

1. recyclethepanda macrumors newbie

I just installed Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro (10.7.5) yesterday without any problems. When I opened boot camp assistant, it had 3 checkboxes. I can't remember exactly, but I think they involved 1) Creating an install disc on a flash drive, 2) downloading the latest windows support software, and 3) instaling windows 7. So I downloaded an ISO for windows 7 and went to town. This worked fine, though I had to turn off my proxy settings. I went ahead and set everything up on my macbook, no problems there.

Fast forward to today, I'm trying to do the exact same thing on my iMac with the exact same ISO file and the exact same flash drive. But it's not getting past the "downloading windows support software" screen. Upon opening bootcamp assistant, only two checkboxes were visible: downloading support software, and installing win 7. It made no mention of a flash drive, and never asked me where my ISO file was. Ironically, although it made no mention of booting installation from a flash drive, it asked me which flash drive I'd like to install from. So first I used the flash drive with the same windows support software, not realizing that these files hadn't been deleted after the laptop installation, and probably were not compatible with my iMac. So I went ahead and deleted everything from the flash drive, then formatted it. I restarted boot camp assistant, and the dialogue was exactly the same. Still it made no mention of a flash drive, and failed to ask for an ISO file. I went ahead with it anyway, thinking maybe, just maybe it would automatically detect the ISO file. That, however, sounds extremely implausible, as it could pick up one of any number of ISO files sitting around on my desktop. It's ridiculous. But I let it run anyway. After 6 hours, I realize that boot camp assistant is stuck at about 25% on the downloading windows support files screen, exactly where it was stuck the last time. This is starting to get ridiculous, right? I check out the flash drive, and there's NOTHING on it. It's been "downloading" support files for 6 hours, and yet there's not a single byte written to the flash drive. Completely empty.

What's going on? Why is this utility so different from the one on my Macbook? Why is it not working, despite the fact that I'm using the same flash drive and same ISO file?

Important details to consider:
    Macbook's OS was 10.7.5. This iMac's OS is 10.9.4. Still, I can't see why Mavericks would have a completely useless boot camp assistant, since I've heard of plenty of people installing win 7 on their mavericks iMac. This should be working, but it's not. Why is it not mentioning the flash drive, or asking me for an ISO to work with? Why is it not writing anything on the flash drive? What's going on!!!???

2. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

I'd like to see an answer posted for this as well. My Macbook Pro is doing exactly the same thing, except now bootcamp crashes as well. There was no option to make a bootable usb form an iso file at all.

3. ChrisTinaBruce macrumors newbie

ChrisTinaBruce

I am having the same issue. How did you resolve?

4. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

I didn't, I just gave up. I did reinstall OS 10.10 but its still behaving the same way. I;m having more pressing issues with my machine so its sort of on the back burner for now.