Boot Camp Assistant error after upgrading hard drive and cloning with super duper

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kwhitenton, Jun 18, 2009.

1. kwhitenton macrumors newbie

I have a 13" white macbook, which I had partitioned with Bootcamp. When I decided to upgrade to a 500 GB drive I didn't want to reinstall everything, so after ordering and installing my new harddrive, I
    used super duper to clone my mac volume onto the new drive.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

It worked like a charm for the mac volume, but did not copy my windows volume. No problem, I figure, I will just run the boot camp assistant again, b/c I didn't have that much on that volume anyway.

However when I booted up in my new 500 gb mac drive, the Boot Camp Assistant would not work and generated an error message stating

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
    Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

Only problem is, my drive was already formatted as an extended journaled volume. I erased it and reformatted and recloned from super duper just to double check, but still got the same error message.

Then I tried to start from scratch, and erased the drive again and tried to install an operating system from the dvd. I got another error message saying that the hard drive could not be partitioned and that I needed to use disk utility to reformat the disk as a GUID partition.

However I couldn't figure out how to do that, and couldn't find anything on the disk utility that said GUID. it took a call to mac support (thanks mark!) to figure it out. Thought I would post it here in case anyone else has the same problem. It turned out that the hard drive I'd ordered was somehow not set up the way as my old one. The solution was:

1. boot from the mac os DVD
    2. go into disk utility, select the new hard drive, and choose the partition tab
    3. change the number of partitions from "current" to "1"
    4. then the 'options' button becomes available, and you can go in and select to format as a GUID drive.

from that point on, I was able to proceed with installing Mac OS x, install all the software updates, and run the boot camp partition.

Once I had the hard drive partitioned properly I used Super Duper to clone my mac volume onto the new drive, and then used Winclone to clone the windows drive. for some reason the main site for winclone is down right now - two canoes - but I got a working copy here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25932

none of the help info on two canoes was available yesterday or today either so I had a little trouble figuring out how to use it. (though others have said it's super easy...). I wasn't sure where to save the disk image, on a mac or windows volume and on my old or new drive.
    The way I ended up doing it (that worked) was:
    1. open winclone, and in the 'image' tab, create an image and save it on the mac volume of the new hard drive. (I couldn't save it on the old drive b/c there wasn't enough room)
    2. then, still in winclone, go to the 'restore' screen and restore from the mac volume of the internal hard drive to the windows volume.

2. TURTLPWR macrumors newbie

Re: Boot Camp Assistant error after upgrading hard drive and cloning with super duper

Thanks so much for posting this kwhitenton!! I have been trying to research how to get rid of a Bootcamp partition I created to run Vista and couldn't figure out how to remove it. I think I'm gonna skip the Bootcamp thing and go with VMWare or Parallel's to run Windows 7 for a multimedia application I need that will only run on Windows.

Thanks again!

TURTLPWR