Boot Camp Assistant - Failed to load BOOTMGR

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CloudStrife, Jan 12, 2012.

1. CloudStrife macrumors newbie

CloudStrife

So as one can guess from this thread's name, it's another Boot Camp problem.
    I am aware that this is probably a question that has been asked many times before so no flaming, please >.<

Ok lets get to the problem, I have a MacBook Air 11" Mid 2011 with Mac OS X Lion. I already have Windows XP Professional SP3 and I want to boot it up using my Mac. I've already put all the necessary files onto a 4 GB flash drive and partitioned my hard drive. The problem is that Boot Camp won't load BOOTMGR. I have tried the procedure that the Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide mentioned several times already, but I still keep getting the same error: "Booting from Boot Camp Assistant created USB Drive...Failed to load BOOTMGR"
    Is there any way for me to successfully install Windows?

2. simsaladimbamba

Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported on 2011 Macs, only Windows 7 is.
    Thus you need to get Windows 7.

Btw, Windows is not easily installed via an external USB flash memory thumb drive, especially Windows XP. Windows 7 can be installed via USB flash memory thumb drive though.

3. CloudStrife thread starter macrumors newbie

CloudStrife

So that was the problem, thank you for answering! I'll try Windows 7 right now.

4. masterscuba macrumors newbie

Failure to load bootmgr

Have followed steps in Bootcamp instructions...can't seem to get passed the failure to load bootmgr.
    ISO on external usb drive - partition visible on power up with option button.
    OSX 10.8.2 80 gig in Win partition
    Suggestions?