Boot Camp Assistant not partitioning

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dh2005, Jun 18, 2011.

1. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hey folks,

My iMac previously had Windows 7 on it, and never caused a problem. For reasons too long and boring to recount, I had to remove it and revert solely to OS X for a while; and today I decided to put it back on.

Boot Camp Assistant starts as it should, it asks me to apportion the space (I select one third OS X, two thirds Windows) then I click 'Partition'. It beavers away for a while, the blue bar builds up and up, but when it gets to about 60% of the way along it stops. The drive no longer ticks - the computer doesn't appear to be doing anything - and two or three hours later, it's still no further along.

I don't know how Macs write to their hard drives but, if it's in a linear and sequential fashion, there shouldn't be anything on that drive beyond the first 200GB. It should be completely clear above that, so I don't see how it could be defragmenting or anything. To invert Steve's favourite phrase, it just doesn't work...

... any ideas?

Cheers,

DH.

2. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awwww, God. Really in a mess, now...

... I returned to my iMac to discover that it had hung. Couldn't get it to respond even to a mouse-click, so I turned the machine off and restarted.

You can guess what it's done now, I'll bet... it's apportioned the OS X partition, but the Windows partition is nowhere to be seen. Now, when I run Boot Camp Assistant, I only have a 300GB hard drive!

[sigh]

Am I going to have to reformat my drive?

3. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

One embarrassed call to Apple Care later, and the missing partition has been recovered. Now, let's see whether Boot Camp Assistant works this time...