Boot Camp Assistant unable to move files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pindab0ter, Aug 31, 2008.

1. pindab0ter macrumors newbie

I tried using bootcamp lately, I succeeded after trying a few times. It stated it wasn't able to partition the HDD because it couldn't move certain files. It said I should backup, format and restore. Next thing, I tried booting in safe mode, this worked for me then.

I went to install XP, all went nearly flawless, and booted it. I was installing a few games via Steam and installing SP3 at the same time when I concluded I didn't make my partition large enough, so I tried resizing the partition using some partitioning tool, didn't work, got a lovely old booting error on XP, so I booted in OS X again and got rid of the Windows partition, just to try it again, but now with 32 GB instead of 15 GB or so.

I again recieved the error stating it couldn't partition the HDD because it couldn't move certain files, but this time, booting in safe mode didn't work anymore.

Does anyone know of a way to make this work, without the tedious task of backupping, formatting and restoring?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How much free space do you have on your HD?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

This has come up a couple times before and seems to be the result of large file fragmentation. While OSX running on it own does have internal routines to deal with fragmentation to the point that a defrag program is considered pointless by most, it does seem to come into play in this situation.

At least one program (iDefrag http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php ) does this for MacOSX. So you have to make a decision of paying $35 for that or simply using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone to another drive, reformatting and cloning back with them. It all depends on how much your time is worth to you in the end! :)

4. ousi macrumors newbie

Disk Space Matters

Don't know whether the poster had figured that out yet, but for my case it is because I have too little free space (11GB only after partitioning).

Clean up your files and the boot camp stuff will be working now.

5. pindab0ter thread starter macrumors newbie

I already had enough space, but even after cleaning up, and having 80GB of free space, it says it it won't work, even if I try to assign just 40GB. Surely there is enough room for manouvering there?

I also tried defragging... Does this mean formatting is the only option?

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

What did you defrag with? If it was with iDefrag for example, then I would have to say yes, that a reformat (after cloning your data off to another drive for quick restoring after reformatting) would be in order.

I asked about what you used because some other things like Disk Warrior that claim they are defragging are actually just optimizing the directory itself and not actually moving any files around on the disk.