Boot Camp Beta 1.4...Why am I still alive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by akdj, Oct 3, 2008.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I am using BC Beta 1.4 with OSX 10.4.11 and Windows XP SP2. I can't install SP3, even with a workaround I saw posted here a while back...and evidently, it is because of my version of BC.

Why am I still able to run Windows at all? Are there other limitations I'm not running into by NOT upgrading to Leopard? and the "supported" versions of BC? Just not sure I want to upgrade yet (OSX) because of a couple of programs I use doing live performances. Not sure if they are as reliable with Leopard, albeit, 10.5 has been out for a while now. That is another question. If I do bump to Leopard on my MBP, what will happen to my current, partitioned Windows drive on my computer...being that it exists with a beta version of Boot Camp?

Sorry...guess the end is my actual question, as well as other limitations I may have that I haven't discovered with Beta.

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Once you install Windows, it never expires. But if your HD crashes, you wont be able to install windows again with that BC version. The only thing you are missing is some updated drivers, but if your install is working fine, they probably wouldn't help you.

If you upgrade to Leopard, your bootcamp partition should stay intact. You can then install the updated drivers off of the Leopard DVD too.

Leopard isn't a huge upgrade, but after using it for almost a year now, Tiger seems pretty dated whenever I use it. I actually just sold a Leopard DVD to somebody in Alaska, I guess it wasn't you.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I guess this can't be stated often enough: Boot Camp does not equal the ability to run Windows on an Intel Mac. All it does is partition the hard drive and provide you with some drivers. With an expired version of Boot Camp Assistant you won't be able to create partitions or burn driver discs, but anything that you have already will last forever. Upgrading to Leopard won't touch your Boot Camp partition unless you were to choose to repartition the drive upon installation.

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Like the others said....XP/Windows is NOT reliant on Bootcamp perse, except the initial set up of the target drive for installation which makes it EASY to not install it on the wrong partition or install over OSX.
    The beta will just not allow you to install or edit your ucrrent Windows scheme; however tracing the date back ont he computer to one prior to leopard release ot the expiring of bootcamp seems to work.

Firstly, Id recommend getting a nother drive and getting WinClone on your OSX OS and making a bootable back up of Windows.

Basically to get SP3 running, you need to get Bootcamp 2.0 drivers then get 2.1 drivers from Apple.com and then install SP3.

5. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Thanks guys, 13...what I figured. Suppose I should back it up anyway, just a little worth saving.

hex...no need to yell, I understand what BC does and doesn't do. Just curious if there were consequences when I update the OS...on the same drive. The more I think about the process, the more I think I may upgrade the HD to a 7200rpm 320g anyway:) My MBP is dated (2007).

Thanks again

J

6. dellzey macrumors newbie

Sorry to revive this old thread but as a brand spanking new forum member, I can't start a new thread until I have made 20 posts. And the title of this thread feels related so...

Here's my situation, I have a Mac Pro that was originally running 10.4 (Tiger?) with Boot Camp 1.4, later the OS was upgraded to Leopard but we neglected to upgrade Boot Camp at that time. All was working well until I installed a Airport Extreme Card and found that the BC 1.4 drivers are not finding it.

So I dig out the Leopard disk are try to upgrade to 2.0 but after selecting the "Boot Camp Drivers" button it quickly goes from "Preparing to Install" to "Boot Camp installer completed" with a nice little "The installer encountered errors before it could be configured" message.

I am off to pick up Snow Leopard right now but was hoping for some sage advice as I'm pretty sure I will get the same error message with that upgrade....

Dave

7. dellzey macrumors newbie

update: so after upgrading OS X to Snow Leopard I went to Windows and tried to upgrade my Boot Camp from 1.4 to 3.0 using the Snow Leopard DVD. Unfortunately I got the same error.

I am running Windows XP Pro (win32) SP2 (waiting to update to SP3 until after Boot Camp issues are resolved)

I am really hoping someone here has some idea of what I can try next!

Thanks, Dave

8. dellzey macrumors newbie

Fixed!

I found this blog (http://www.identitymine.com/forward/?p=429) that led me to my solution. I have Blackmagic video editing card and had to remove its driver before updating. After the update I just reinstalled its driver.

Dave

9. dude1202 macrumors newbie

Hi Dellzey,

I hope u'll be able to help me. I'm looking for bootcamp 1.4. though your post was posted 1 yr ago, i hope u still have bootcamp 1.4 and if you do, will u be able to send me a copy of it? thanks.