Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Boot Camp Beta Expires December 31st

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple emailed those who downloaded the Boot Camp beta and let them know that with the introduction of Leopard, Boot Camp Beta is over. The Boot Camp Beta software will expire on December 31, and Apple won't offer further updates of Boot Camp Beta for Mac OS X Tiger.

Boot Camp allows Intel-Mac owners to dual-boot into Windows. It is now a standard feature of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

Article Link

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

That kind of stinks for people not wanting to upgrade just yet.

That is if they mean it won't work when they say "expire."

Comment

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Just because they do not offer updates, could we still use it as it? Or does it just stop working?

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

PlaceofDis said:
That kind of stinks for people not wanting to upgrade just yet.

its not like this is breaking news. its always been said that it would expire once leopard was released.

True, but does expiring mean that it won't work at all or that they are discontinuing updates? I'm just curious.

Comment

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Bootcamp is just the utility. If you already used it to partition and install Windows, nothing is going to change with that (pretty sure). It's possible the bootcamp app may no longer work, but I'm sure someone will figure something out. ;)

Comment

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I agree - I wasn't clear from the email whether the beta software will keep working or if it has some sort of time bomb built in... hopefully it will just keep chugging along without updates. Anything else would be horrible on Apple's part.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
*yawn*

Burn your drive disc or save the image. It'll be a pain to partition but you didn't really have to use Boot Camp to begin with.

Comment

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Windows partition will still work

Bootcamp is just the utility. If you already used it to partition and install Windows, nothing is going to change with that (pretty sure). It's possible the bootcamp app may no longer work, but I'm sure someone will figure something out. ;)

However, if you need to remove the Windows partition, or if you replace the hard drive and need to re-configure, you will need to change your system time in order to run to the BootCamp Assistant Beta. This comes straight from Apple

Apple just won't update the drivers or functionality of the beta.

Comment

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I wonder if they ever would have released it as a beta if people hadn't hacked a way to do it, forcing apple's hand, as it were, to save their user base from the messy process of the hack, and the support issues etc...

On the other hand, it has helped them sell macs in those 18 months... so maybe it was in the cards all along.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think the email is a nice reminder wrapped in a thank-you wrapped in a sales pitch. Good job, Apple.

Comment

MidiMonk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Apple must have realized I was planning on purchasing XP pro instead of Leopard.:eek:

Comment

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
If you install leopard, does that mean that you also have the proper non-beta version of bootcamp?

seems like a silly question, but I already had bootcamp installed in tiger, and a windows partition up and running when I installed tiger so I feel the leopard installation didn't touch my windows partition.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
If you install leopard, does that mean that you also have the proper non-beta version of bootcamp?

seems like a silly question, but I already had bootcamp installed in tiger, and a windows partition up and running when I installed tiger so I feel the leopard installation didn't touch my windows partition.

yup. leopard didnt touch install but overwrote bootcamp so you can select the drive as well as run the assistant

Comment

demenas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Just because they do not offer updates, could we still use it as it? Or does it just stop working?

I don't think there is anything to stop you booting into Windows. Boot Camp is not a boot loader and plays no part in your system's ability to bootup into Windows. I imagine what you will not be able to do is run the tool to ceate the driver disk & edit partitions. (I think all the partitioning tasks can be done from terminal if you know the utilities & syntax to run).

Steve

Comment

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Well, they pulled the installer the same weekend Leopard was introduced (which sucked, because I had some trouble-shooting to do on a bootcamp partition, and couldn't update the utility or find it anywhere for download anymore), so unless you already have the most up to date version (is it 1.4?), you're kind of stuck already.

As for the beta not working anymore, I've heard that the (extremely cheesy) clock trick works - just back yourself up in time, and it'll continue to work if you need to get something done.

Comment

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Err...so what? I have Tiger, BootCamp Beta installed and running smoothly. I installed the ATI video drivers over the Boot Camp ones anyway. Why would I even care about this? I think this is a non-issue isn't it??:confused:

Rich :cool:

Comment

awatiker

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
The only part of this I find surprising is the fact that you can not remove Boot Camp after December 31. Obviously knowledgeable users can trick the system by changing the clock, but for the less informed, it doesn't seem very user friendly that they can not run the assistant just to remove the partition, unless I'm confused about how this will work.

Comment

george maringer

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
Boot Camp expiry

It has been confirmed by my apple representative that users will not be able to access their bootcamp partition after 12/31/2007.
All files on the partition will be there but you will not be able to access them until you switch to Leopard.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.