Boot Camp CPU temperature very high

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFan22, Jul 6, 2015.

1. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I've been running BOOTCAMP on my MacBook Pro (13", 2012) for a while, and it works fine. I've recently been using it to play GTA V, and it just about works, but lately it's been getting hot without me doing anything CPU intensive, such as simple browsing, or just letting it sit on the desktop, and it's been hot. Very hot. About 75 Celcius. Which makes it very uncomfortable when it's on my lap.

The fans also seem to not be working properly either (on BOOTCAMP anyway, haven't tried on Mac), and I've tried using SpeedFan to speed the fans up, but it hasn't worked at all. I did have one in a different version of Windows, but I can't remember the name of it.

Anybody have anything that could help me out here?

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Open up your MAC and repaste the CPU. Clean the fans and heatsink too while you're at it.

3. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

Repaste it? What does that mean?

I'm assuming I can clean the fans and heatsink with pressurised air, or a small vacuum cleaner?

4. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Repaste means removing the fan and heatsink assembly, removing the old thermal paste and reapplying a new thermal paste. Use pressurized air for cleaning the fans and heatsink since vacuum cleaner may create a magnetic field which can induce electric field causing a short on your logic board (i.e. fry your logic board).

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Do the fans spin at all? Or is it that you're saying the use of software "doesn't work" meaning it simply doesn't help?

6. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that sounds confusing. Do you think you could find me a guide for doing that?

7. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

I think they're spinning, it sounds like they are, just really slow. Also, HWMonitor says they're spinning around 2000 RPM the whole time, which seems quite fast for something that sounds so slow...

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

75C isn't too bad anyhow.

How about when you actually task the computer? What does it report then for RPM speeds?

9. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't actually checked, but the fans don't seem any louder not faster. Sometimes it's up as high as 82C, and if it's on my lap or if I have to pick it up it's not very fun. It never used to do this. I'm planning on getting a new MacBook anyways, when I get the money...

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'd at least check to see if the fans are spinning up properly.

11. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

I found an iFixit article on the matter, but do I really need to remove THE WHOLE LOGIC BOARD to repaste the heat sink?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Heat+Sink+Replacement/5896

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Applying+Thermal+Paste/744

12. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

See but now I'm using the OS X partition, and it seems to be working fine, not too hot, fans are quiet etc. and the CPU is working at ~45C, so it's not burning me when I touch it...

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

75 Celcius is barely warm for mobile silicon.

These little guys'll get up to 105C before throttling.

You're 30C under that.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

15. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

It's never been this high before, and the fact that the fans seem to be doing. Itching just concerns me.

16. TimeAgentGamer macrumors member

There is a program called Macs Fan Control that I use for my BootCamped Windows on my Macbook Pro. It lets you set the temperature for when the fans kick in or have it automatically speed up. They have a version specifically for Windows in BootCamp.

Here is a link to their site:
    http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

17. dza macrumors member

You popped the cherry on your macbook and installed windows don't expect it to return to original state and don't expect cooling in retina macbook pros thats a rule of thumb apparently.

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

We get it you aren't happy with yours, sell it and buy something else and move on mate...

19. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I repasted my 13" rMBP and have yet to see the temps go above 85C no matter what i am doing.

20. ckWTB macrumors member

ckWTB

Inspecting and removing dust build up should be done on a regular basis, especially if you are running your machine hard, such as gaming. Reapplying thermal paste may help if the original application was not to specifications, however, it is an advanced procedure. Adding supplemental cooling directly onto your CPU/GPU is another option.

21. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

If you're browsing and doing nothing try Balanced in power options. I found this worked best for me.

May or may not apply to you:
    Open up Task Manager while the computer is idle. In the CPU tab/graph is there a constant 5-10% usage while idle? If so, simply put the computer to sleep (close the lid) and then wake it up

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Seriously? Windows runs fine on Macs. The battery life isn't as good due to the way Windows handles power management vs OSX, but otherwise it won't negatively affect your experience in OSX aside from some storage being used for Windows.

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

24. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't found time to do so yet. I downloaded Macs Fan Control, both of them, and they work a treat! Thank you! The only issue is when I'm moving from BootCamp to OS X via the "Restart in OS X" button, the fans still stay at high speed, but is solved by using the OS X counterpart to revert to automatic fan speeds. Once again, a big thanks to you, it really works pretty well!

25. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

2000Rpm is pretty much the standard idle speed. I think I may have seen them go as slow as 1800 before but at 2000RPM it should be almost silent. When the CPU/GPU is on max load it should spin upwards of 5000RPM. Now 75C or 167F is pretty hot, these chips should be able to withstand at least 95C or 203F. The part the is concerning is while 75C is definitely ok for the CPU the fans should be spinning faster than 2000RPM at that temp. You they should be somewhere between 3 to 4k, and making a little noise. If they are not spinning up that high their maybe either a driver or controller issue. I would boot into Mac and run something CPU intensive and see if they fans don't speed up more around that temp. If they seem to work better under the Mac OS you may have an issue with a driver in windows. I would also look into the program TimeAgentGamer listed above.