Boot Camp - Direct3D, other drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lalarsen11, Feb 9, 2010.

1. lalarsen11 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm brand new here and pretty new to the mac world. I've got a MacBookPro and I have just run boot camp to partition by HD for Window Xp, looking to play Mass Effect 2. I finally got the windows to work, but now do I need drivers/updates or anything like that and how do I get them? When I tried to run ME2, it said it had problems with Direct3D. How do I even get direct3d? Mind you, I have like nothing installed on windows yet (besides the game). Any tips?
    Thanks

2. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Stick the CD that came with your laptop (or SL CD if you have it) and it has the drivers you need for windows on it.

I would recommend getting the latest GPU drivers though since the ones on the CD will be old as they get updated on a month-by-month basis. Get those from nvidia.com

3. lalarsen11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Is it under optional installs? how do I get to them?

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There is a whole forum just for Windows on a Mac, you'll get a better reception there.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

But basically, boot windows, insert Snow Leopard disk. It will autorun and install the drivers.

Once that is done, do a windows update.

After that, visit website for your video card (nVidia, or ATI) and download the driver for the video card. Install that driver.

Then you should be ready to roll.

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a