Boot Camp disk error, can't restart OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benguil, Oct 13, 2008.

1. benguil macrumors newbie

Hello,

I own a Early 2006 20-inch iMac running Leopard with all the latest updates. I tried installing Windows XP last night w/Boot Camp and as i've read in many forum threads, I partioned the hard drive incorrectly and got the infamous "Disk Error Press Any Key". I shutdown the computer and restarted holding the option key to get back to Leopard but this did not work and neither did holding C to boot from the Leopard disk. Basically, no pressing of any keys on start up brought me away from the Disk Error screen. The only thing I can think of is that since it is booting up from Windows, it does not recognize my Mac keyboard. Just wondering if anyone out there had a similar problem and knows of any solutions. Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. RatVega macrumors member

No "similar problems" because I don't do windows...

You could try booting from the Install Disk (hold down the mouse button to get the drive door open, load the Install Disk & close the door, then power down and restart with the C key depressed) and start from square one...

3. benguil thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried booting from the install disk but holding the C key wasn't working. I borrowed a universal keyboard from a friend and that let me hit "any key" when it tried to boot from the disk but it just went back to the windows install screen. I tried reinstalling but I kept getting a corrupt/missing system32 error. Although the keyboard worked when it asked me to hit "any key", it still won't let me boot from the Leopard CD when I boot up nor can I hold the option key to select what I want to boot from. I'm getting quite frustrated...might have to make the trek to the Genius Bar soon....

4. Shagu macrumors newbie

Just go mine

Just got my new Macbook pro this week.

Same problems.
    Per the instructions of boot camp I partitioned the disc.
    Restarted the computer and popped the Windows install CD.
    It asked me on which I wanted to install Windows and I indicated the partitioned disc that I set up.

All was well with the installation. It installed up to 61% then black-screened and game me this:

_ A blinking light.

It does absolutely nothing. I can at the very lest eject the disc on startup of my computer. Popping in the Mac OS installation CD does not make it react any differently.

People tell me there's nothing I can do and I will have to send it back to the manufacturer.This really irritates and frustrates me. I just got it and I don't want to loose all the time I spent installing all my applications.

Do you have to have some kind of proffessional insall Windows for you?

5. phas3 macrumors 65816

are you guys using windows xp sp2 corporate? i'm getting the same error right now and through my research people have said not to use the corporate because it won't let you reformat the partitioned bootcamp drive when the first blue screen comes up.