Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi,

I have a 2019 27" 5K iMac, the base model, with a six core 3.00 GHZ i5, 8 GB of RAM (planning of upgrading to 16 GB) and 256 SSD. I use it mostly for photography, illustration and some programming too, as a hobbyist. The apps I use are the like of Pixelmator Pro, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Aseprite, etc. I also have a 1 TB external SSD so I am more than happy with my current setup, as it cover my needs by far.

Sometimes I miss the chance to play some games (I will love to play Age of Empires 2 Definite Edition, as the original one is my favorite PC game ever made), so I am thinking to install Windows 10 with Boot Camp.

My biggest concern is disk space. My main drive is a 256 SSD, enough for my Mac OS needs, but will it be enough for Boot Camp? I can create a partition about 50 GB for Windows 10 (I will still have about 90 GB free on my Mac OS partition).

Is it enough space for having both OS working correctly and safe?

Thank you.

Joeronzk

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2020
50GB is two less for a full working Windows 10. The C drive only takes about 55GB of my Windows 10 install.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
While it only uses 50GB, it is still better to have breathing room. How late he is AE2 needs?

I have a Surface Go with 64GB and lament not going for 128GB, so I need to keep my eye on it, remove updates and Windows.old etc. Surface Laptop 2 I eventually got is 128GB

I have Mac Mini 16/512 and set aside 100GB with Bootcamp. Has 300GB used by Mac Big Sur so it has ~100 free.

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Thank you. I tried it and it seems to work fine.

There is only one thing that I can’t understand. When I press option to choose the OS to boot, it shows Mac OS and the Windows partition is called “EFI Boot”. Is it a normal thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.