Boot Camp doesn't show my Windows partition when I hold Option and boot...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .:r32, Feb 17, 2008.

1. .:r32 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

So the title pretty much explains everything. I ran Boot Camp and created an 8GB partition which now has Windows XP Pro on it and everything went smoothly. I am very happy with it, except for this one problem. I have it set up so that it default boots into Leopard, but the manual says when I hold Option during boot, it should let me choose between the partitions; however, when I do this, it only shows the Mac OS X partition, and no Windows partition. If I go to System Preferences->Startup Disk, I can restart in XP, but this is the only way right now. I want to be able to manually choose by holding Option during boot. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance, since this community is always very helpful to me.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Is your bootcamp partition formatted FAT32 as if so this could be the reason
    there is a thread about this issue,to cut along story it needs to be NTFS for you
    to have the option at boot up

3. .:r32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see. I am pretty sure mine is formatted in FAT32. So is there NO way to make it available at boot? :(

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Im not sure of any other way apart from a re-format.I know there is a thread
    somewhere about this issue as others have had this problem i suggested it to them
    as i had read it from somewhere and it worked

5. .:r32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so thanks everyone for your help. I got it figured out and converted the Windows partition from FAT32 to NTFS. Now, however, the partition shows up in OS X as a volume named "Untitled" instead of "Windows XP" as it was previously, and I cannot rename the volume. What am I doing wrong?

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB