Boot Camp Driver Disk Errors *solved*

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by someone28624, Aug 15, 2007.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

When I try to install my boot camp driver disk in Windows XP Pro, it says "This Package requires a newer version of the Windows Installer. Do you want to update the version of Windows Installer on your system?" So I can click yes or no. Clicking yes leads me to ""The required resource 'UPDATE' is missing." I'm stuck.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

3. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't...no internet without wireless card...no wireless card without drivers. Even a wired internet connection doesn't work without the drivers.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Is this a fresh install of SP2? I don't remember needing to update first.. What model do you have?

5. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP1. What model of what?

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You need SP2. Download it from OS X or another computer to a CD or shared folder and run it first. Then try installing the drivers using the BC 1.4 CD.

7. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I download SP2 to my OSX partition, will I be able to access the file when I boot into Windows?

8. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

SP2 will not install successfully.

You need to start over using an SP2 disc. If you don't have access to one, you should search Google (or even these forums) for slipstreaming. This will allow you to create an SP2 disk that will work correctly with your Mac.

9. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I saved SP2 to a thumb drive and thought I was doing ok, but you be right, it no worky. Ok, I have a disk with SP2. How do I install that on the partition I currently have windows on now? Just start over from Boot Camp? Or can I just boot from the disk at start up and fix it?

10. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You can try this:
    1) Put in the XP SP2 disc.
    2) Restart your Mac.
    3) Hold Option (alt) after the bong.
    4) Select the XP disc and boot from it.
    5) Follow through the installation wizard until you get to the partitions page.
    6) Select your BootCamp partition, making sure to choose the NTFS Quick Format option.

That's about it, should save you the hassle of removing and recreating the partition using the BootCamp Utility. If you'd rather do that, it can be found Applications > Utilities > BootCamp Utility. It will give you the option to restore your drive to a single partition, from there it would be simple to create a new BootCamp partition using the same utility.

11. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I may be totally missing something here, but is there any other way I can just get the wireless or ethernet driver and then get SP2 through windows update?

12. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

No. SP2 will not install. The installation fails, don't waste your time.

13. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, booted from the CD as you directed and reinstalled Windows w/ SP2 and it worked beautifully. All my drivers are up and running now too. Thank you so much for your help!

14. polar-blair macrumors regular

Hi I have had the exact same problem, my mum wants Windows XP on her MacBook. I used boot camp with the reinstallation disk I found for one of our old dells, just to see if it would work, and it did. It worked fine, I installed all the drivers got it on the internet but then realised I had lost the activation code. So my mum bought another disk of ebay, but this time this whole window update thing appears.

Could some one explain what is SP2 and give a step by step guide on how to get it working. Any help would be much appreciated.

15. jelly88 macrumors newbie

i installed a windows sp2 package from softwarepatch.com and then saved it on a disk, then loaded it on my sp1 and it installed.

16. jmm1093 macrumors newbie

"i installed a windows sp2 package from softwarepatch.com and then saved it on a disk, then loaded it on my sp1 and it installed."

Hey -
    Im new to this whole partiton thing, i also found a windows xp sp1 with all my old pc cds etc. i am attempting to do tha same as u (jelly88) but when i download the sp2 xp update to my mac the damn thing is in .exe format and i cant burn it to a disc. can u explain how u did it? it would be very helpful!