Boot Camp driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Brian Y, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Hi All,

I'm trying to install Windows on my iMac and it's driving me crazy to the point of me being ready to throw it out of the window. Boot camp assistant is being a complete ass, and I have no idea how to continue.

First off, it's a 2011 iMac with 3 drives installed - 2 SSDs in software Raid 0, and a regular HDD. It doesn't have an ODD.

The Raid0 array is one single HFS+ partition, which houses my OS X install. The HDD uses the GUID scheme, and has a number of partitions: 1 for my data, 1 for the 10.9 installer (no recovery hd due to raid) and i've created a partition for boot camp.

I've created a Windows USB stick using my rMBP which works fine (installed no problem on that machine) since I can't create it on my iMac. Here's where the fun starts: I cannot use Boot Camp assistant on the iMac to start the install - it just comes up with "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a a single partition." and goes no further. Even though I don't want boot camp to touch the raid array, it refuses to do anything because of the raid array.

OK, no problems, that's kind of understandable given how restrictive Apple is, but Windows 8 now supports booting from EFI, so I rebooted, the boot selector picked up the Windows 8 USB installer fine, and booted into it. Started the install, formatted the disk, and then get met with a lovely error message saying how Windows cannot be installed to the disk because it has an MBR partition map (it doesn't - it's GUID) and Windows, when in EFI mode, can only be installed to a GPT disk!

Any suggestions from here? I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Cheers!

2. faneos macrumors member

faneos

Be careful create backups with mavericks you never know

3. Brian Y thread starter macrumors 68040

Huh?

4. faneos macrumors member

faneos

Before do anything create backup other users report that lost partitions with disk operations like bootcamp in mavericks

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bootcamp is perfectly safe and any reports being issued have largely been caused by user error, i.e., selecting the wrong partition to format for windows.

Anyways backing up your data is sage advice on any disk operations.