Boot Camp error, HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by austinlallen, Apr 13, 2012.

1. austinlallen macrumors member

The Error: "The Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved"

I really need windows so i can complete my work, so help please!

I have also tried making a new partition via Disk Utility, but got another error.

I tried IPartition and had a warning that i cannot edit contents on the disk, do you guys have any ideas to get me up and running?

Thanks for responses

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your drive is either too full or too fragmented.

Back up your drive (Say with Time Machine) and start removing some large files.

If you use iPartition then you need to create a boot disk, you cannot boot off the system drive and then try to partition that with iPartition.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've heard that some people have success partitioning their disk, when they get errors such as yours, when they boot from their OS X install disc and use Disk Utility from that to partition their hard drive.

4. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

Ive tried booting up into recovery and still fails to partition correctly

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your drive is either too full or too fragmented for OSX to carve out some space for a windows partition.

As I noted removing some files may be the easiest solution, provided you have a backup.

6. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

I Still have 500GB of free space, but i do have alot of large files, i think its something to do with my drive permissions

7. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I've had this problem with Boot Camp as well. As others have said, your hard drive is probably too fragmented. In my case, before being successful with iPartition, I had to run iDefrag. After that, my hard drive had one contiguous area of free space and Boot Camp was able to create the partition it needed. Be sure to back up your files first if you choose to do any of this.