Boot Camp Error.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by daniel-shi, Jan 11, 2011.

1. daniel-shi, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

daniel-shi macrumors member

Hello people of the world...

About 2 or so months ago I bought Call of Duty 6, Modern Warfare 2 for a PC. I intended to use boot camp to use the game. I bought a copy of Vista, installed the game and then as a present got Windows 7 Professional. I decided to get rid of the Boot camp of vista and then tried to re partition it for windows seven.

It told me..

" The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved
    Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again. "

I then bought Parallels for mac and installed the Windows 7 on Parallels. I installed it on the parallels, but now it runs real slow. Ok, so now u know the details, if you could answer my questions!

a) Why can't I re-partition my Boot Camp on my MBP?
    b) Why is CoD so slow on Parallels?

I have everything Base for my MBP 13", current version. I think I will soon upsize my HDD, I am running out of space...

Thanks, Daniel

2. simsaladimbamba

a) Because some files of your current partition are using the sectors Mac OS X would like to use for the second partition, therefore you either reinstall Mac OS X and restore from a Time Machine backup to write the data continuously instead of being spread out the platters or you use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your Macintosh HD to an external HDD and boot from that external HDD and clone the data back, to have it written continuously again.

b) Because COD is a GPU dependent game and Parallels adds an additional layer, which is slowing things down heavily in the GPU department, between game and GPU.

3. daniel-shi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply...

So are you saying I can't play it on my computer, or what can i do?

Daniel

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Get Boot Camp working and you should be OK.

If you have a drive that is smaller than 500 GB, consider taking this opportunity to also upgrade your hardware. For ~$60 you can install a larger drive.

B

5. daniel-shi thread starter macrumors member

I do want to get it working. Instead of backing up and using external drives and all that, is there any way AT ALL that i can get boot camp working? or do i HAVE to do the stuff someone said b4?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If there was an easier way to do it, it would have been mentioned. It's really not very hard to do at all.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

iDefrag can sometimes work, but it has also been known to not work and lose data in the process. The Apple recommended process is far more robust.

B