Boot Camp failed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illuminous, Apr 20, 2008.

1. illuminous macrumors member

I just used bootcamp to partition my drive for a Windows XP install. As the installer was partitioning the drive I got a grey box saying your computer must be restarted, hold down the power button.

I've gotten back into os x and found that the partition is there but not recognised. So the 60gbs are missing from my drive, but doesn't seem to recognise the partition. Can someone help???

2. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Same here, if I could fix it I would help you too.

anyone? :(

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Happened to me, too. Ultimately, I had to backup all my data (use Time Machine) and then reformat and reinstall Leopard. Specifically, I used Disk Utility to repair the entire disk. Doing so causes an automatic format.

4. illuminous thread starter macrumors member

Well I restarted into the leopard installer and did a 'repair disk' through there. Which by the way causes no loss of os x data. Then went back in and tried the Boot Camp installer again, and same thing happens at exactly the same time. SOOOO frustrating. Doesn't seem like the installer will work. Any ideas??

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I know it doesn't cause data loss, but for me, I wasn't able to gain back all the disk space until I did a complete format of Leopard and a reinstall. With Time Machine, however, reinstalling isn't a big deal anymore. I did a backup, reformatted and then restored the backup. All my files were right back where they should have been, and the only thing I lost was some iTunes playlists, which were easily recreated.

6. illuminous thread starter macrumors member

Damnit!!! That's it I'm off to buy another external for time machine...this is the LAST! time I lose all my stuff