boot camp failure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xsjados, Jul 21, 2009.

1. xsjados macrumors newbie

ok this is my first time here but, my problem is that when i partitioned my hard drive for boot camp something went wrong and im not sure if it got partitioned or not. because the the hard disk space (32gb) is gone but, i cant boot to it or anything. i tried to go back to boot camp but instead of asking me to remove the partition its asking me to make another partition (the page that decides how much space it gets) so what do i do. i tried making another partition but it failed and i really need boot camp to work.

halp?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Go into disk utility and see if there is another partition there besides your mac partition. You will probably need to delete this and recover the space and then try to run bootcamp assistant again.

One Question: Do you have a backup of any kind? If you do not then I would advise you to go get an external hard drive and back up using time machine before you try to mess with the partitions or use bootcamp to install windows. There is always a chance that data could be lost and you have already seen how errors can occur in the process of using the bootcamp utility to install windows. If you mess something up with a botched windows install, and you have no backup, you are screwed.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

You also probably don't have enough contiguous hard drive space...meaning you dont have enough space in a single opening on your hard drive. You may have to move your files to an external and then back on to your internal hard drive b4 you will get bootcamp to run correctly.

4. xsjados thread starter macrumors newbie

ya i tried that a while ago but there isn't a partition other than mac im just going to back everything up and restore my computer thanks anyway though

5. Nerdowl macrumors member

Quoted for Truth. I had to move World of Warcraft off my harddrive and onto an external before I could get bootcamp to work on my Macbook.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok, I had to do this when first trying to use bootcamp so you are not alone. Good Luck