Boot Camp: "Files cannot be moved"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PockieLoli :3, Oct 31, 2009.

1. PockieLoli :3 macrumors member

So, I was formerly using VMware Fusion but I haven't been happy with its performance; plus there's a game I want to try that Crossover Games can't run. So I figured I'd suck it up with having to reboot and try Boot Camp out.

I've already uninstalled VMware Fusion and deleted the actual Windows partition yet I'm still getting an error message.

Here's a screenshot with that message and information about my HD through Disk Utility.

http://i35.tinypic.com/nosifd.png

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Very common problem and you have 2 choices. Either try one of the various Mac defragging programs like iDefrag which may or (more likely) may not work, or back up your HD, reinstall the OS and partition from bootcamp.

3. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input! ^^

Well, looks like my best (and only) option would be the second. Do I back up my drive by just copying it over to a flashdrive?
    As for reinstalling my OS, do I have to clear all my folders first or just pop the CD in?

Hehe, sorry for the questions, I'm not too computer savvy so I'll need these things to be explained a bit more.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You need a sufficiently large external drive to hold all the information on your laptop drive. That drive must be formatted to HFS+ (Mac journaled). Then you can use the restore function in disk utility to clone the laptop drive to the external drive.

Next you boot the Leopard or Snow Leopard install disk and partition your laptop disk, which will wipe all the information. Then install OS X from scratch. When you come to the point where you are asked if you want to load programs or data from another Mac you point to the external drive clone.

After this you will have a spanking new installation with all your previous data on board. Try to partition your drive with bootcamp again.

Before you do all this check how full your drive is. You should have at least 25% free space after you have installed Windows. With the tiny disk you are using this is not likely. You may want to replace your 120 GB disk with a 320 or 500 GB disk before doing all the installation work. This is a good time for such a move. iFixit.com has good tutorials on how to exchange hard disks in a MP or MBP.

Of course you could also put some of your data on the external disk to get more space. If that is preferrable you should make two partitions on the external disk. One for the data you are going to keep external and a second for the cloning.

5. john0879 macrumors newbie

Those are not the only options. I just had this problem and I did not have to reinstall or defrag.

Here's what I did:
    1. Boot from the OS install disk or a bootable backup copy
    2. Run Disk Utily and repair your hard drive
    3. Reboot into your normal OS
    4. Run Boot Camp and partition.

I had Boot Camp throw the same error near the end of the partition process after I did this. I looked at the hard drive using the demo of iDefrag and saw a couple of very very small fragments that could not be moved. I restarted and ran Boot Camp again and it finished without issue.

You may want to try this before reinstalling everything. This is much faster than defraging the entire hard drive.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I also had to turn off file sharing to get it to work in Snow Leopard.

7. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, well I'll try john0879's and jaw04005's suggestions first because I don't have an external hard drive or the money to buy iDefrag (my mom is very paranoid with online transactions. :[).

Thanks for the advice so a far. I'll post some results when I get some.

8. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for double posting, but I need this thread to be bumped for responses to my results.

Anyways, I tried this out:
    Disk Utility said that my HD appears to be ok and all that after I repaired it, yet Boot Camp is still giving me the same error message. :[
    I even rebooted and retried Boot Camp like you did and I'm still getting the message about half way through the partition every time.

I did notice this, though: http://i37.tinypic.com/2wrht3p.png

Would changing my Volume Scheme from "current" to "1 partition" help me?
    Oh, and what effects will that have on my HD? (ie. memory being erased, etc...)

9. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

10. john0879 macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear that didn't work. Looks like I might have been lucky.

It looks to me like your current scheme is 1 partition. I don't know if changing will help. It will cause you to erase your HD though. Using iDefrag would probably be a better option. It just takes a long time to complete. You might want to let it run overnight.

I saw a suggestion in another thread (sorry, I don't have the link) that you could clone your HD using SuperDuper and then restore your HD from the backup. Supposedly this restores your HD in one continuous block leaving you a continuous block of blank space a the end of the HD that Boot Camp will like. Probably not any quicker than iDefrag, but you can do it for free if you have an external HD.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it to work. This seems like a YMMV type of issue.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I went through this when I first wanted to put bootcamp on. I did the defrag and a few other things, nothing worked. I ended up doing as they said, backing everything up to an external disk and then starting from scratch. I didn't have much installed so I just backed up my documents. :(

But once it was done it was fine. And it works great.

12. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I might just end up doing this.

Though I don't have an external hardrive but I also don't have many things I'd like to keep; just a folder of .psd files of drawings.
    So I'll probably just move those files the way I did when I first got my MacBook. I used AIM's file transfer to move all my music from my desktop to my MacBook under two different usernames! :D

I'm starting to feel a little bit guilty though because I love Crossover Games. The staff is very supportive. Maybe I'll just wait until my one year of service expires...

Well, with that said, may I get some insight on Boot Camp compared to Crossover?
    Will the graphics in games look just as good as an actual Windows system with a good graphics card? Or will that still be dependent on my MacBook's weak graphics card?
    Also, will all applications run just as they would on an actual Windows system? I ask this because there was a program I used to use back on my desktop called Paint Tool SAI. It's a drawing program that works with tablets and it requires a certain driver in Windows to work at its full potential.

Oh, and another slightly related question...
    If I end up reinstalling my OS, can I use the same product key for my copy of Adobe Photoshop?

13. Love macrumors 68000

Love

This has been driving me friggin nuts. I attempted to partition BOTH my iMac and my MacBook, and they both gave me this error ><

14. PockieLoli :3 thread starter macrumors member

Have you already tried all the suggestions I've been getting in this thread?
    Reinstalling your entire OS like everyone's been saying seems to be the sure fire way. :]

15. khoner macrumors newbie

Microsoft database

I also got this error.

I tried moving all files to a USB drive one by one. Nothing worked until I removed the microsoft office 2008 database. After that partitioning went fine.

Before you can transfer the database file and delete it from your boot drive you need to kill the daemon in Activity Monitor.

Probably best to restore the database before installing XP.

Hope that helps.

16. scottdf, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

scottdf macrumors newbie

I got this error as well and have been looking around the forums to find possible solutions. I had not thought to worry or move old Office files, but I will take a look at that and add it to my list of possibilities when I get home from work.

Thanks, Scott

Update: I was able to successfully partition my drive after booting from a CD and compacting my HD. :)