Boot Camp from an external HDD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jgw1283, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

I have an 08 MBP and want to experiment with boot camp/vm ware fusion. Do I have to install a copy of OS X on the external before I can do windows?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I'm not sure what you mean by "external." Boot Camp is installed alongside your existing installation of OS X, and virtual machines like Fusion run inside your OS X installation as a program.

3. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

I dont want to repartition my internal HD, do I need to install another copy of OS X on the USB external HDD in order to run VM Ware Fusion or reboot and run boot camp?

I don't have enough HD space on my internal for a windows install

4. revenent macrumors regular

VMware fusion allows you to run windows or any other OS alongside your existing Mac OS without the need to reboot.

If using VMware or Parallels, you can have the image installed on an external HDD and run the OS from there. This is my current setup to run Server 2008, Redhat, and Windows 7 Professional for my test bed.

5. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

If you want to reboot and play games and windows apps without booting into Mac OSX, you will need bootcamp, there aren't any easy ways to use bootcamp with an external drive.

(although I have two SSD's, one with bootcamp one with Mac OSX both internal)