Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Hi there, Mac Rumors!

I have been scouring the web on this issue, and I've decided to consult a couple of forums.

BEFORE I begin...
I'm running:
Mac Mini, latest version, i5 Chip model and maxed out ram (8GB).

I have a wired Apple keyboard, a basic DVI Monitor, wireless mouse, and a Samsung DVD-CD Burner/Reader drive.

Sandisk 8GB (As you'll see below) is a Cruzer model, brand new.
Sony Media 4GB Again, brand new. Also again, the story is below.

I have found it mostly possible to survive on Mac and Linux, but now I come face to face with a program that I'm going to need a lot that is requiring windows. It doesn't like WINE (linux) and I'm working on that, but what I'd really like to do is have my Mac Mini dual booted to Windows/Mac.

First off, I have a Windows 7 64 bit CD. Everything works on it fine. If I try it in VMware, it works, so it's a valid disk. However, VMware isn't good enough and it was just a trial anyways. I'm trying to do this in a way that gives me all my computer's power in windows, as the development engine I'm trying to run is going to need all the power I can give it.

Here is what I've tried:
1) First, I did what I thought would work right off the bat. I put the disk in a USB DVD-CD Reader/Burner drive (should be capable of doing everything) and then waited for the partition to work.

When I rebooted, my mac just sat there with a black screen and nothing else. I tried again, thinking maybe it just got stuck and a reboot would fix the problem. No luck. When I remove the CD/DVD drive, it brings up a NO OS error and tells me to insert any media and press any key. Neither inserting the disk nor pressing any key brings up any reaction.

Fed up, I just rebooted and went into Mac Safe Mode or whatever it's called--changed the boot partition back to Mac OS X Hard drive, so I could fix the problem.

I tried again twice, with the same result. I looked up the problem, but nobody seemed to be having the same issue, and so I just decided to do a different idea. I downloaded an .ISO file that (again) works with VMware and my intent was to put it on a new thumb drive. I went out, bought a Sandisk 8GB, and tried again. I got an error

An error occurred when copying files to windows.

when I tried to make the Windows 7 USB Bootable Drive.

I scoured the forums yet again, and found someone saying 'Oh, its just a problem with sandisk. Use a Sony Media 4GB, and it works fine'. 3-5 Business Days later, my Amazon packages arrives and it still brings up the same error.

I tried borrowing a friends computer and making a bootable USB flash drive that way, but it still brings up no response.

I'm at my wits end here. I would like to run Windows for a number of reasons, and I'd also like to just be able to have this work. If there is anyone out there who can help me...it is appreciated.

Thanks a ton guys!

--Calvin

----------

I also tried burning the .ISO to the Sony flash drive in Disk Utility.

Unable to burn Windows7.iso (not recognized).

Last edited:

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Did you try Boot Camp Assistant?

When I said like trying Boot Camp...I meant Boot Camp Assistant. This is all done throughout Boot Camp in some way, I at first just used it to create the partition and set it as the bootable one and then I tried to create a bootable USB drive.

Neither worked, as I said above.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
What optical drive are you using? When Boot Camp Assistant asked you to insert your Windows disc, it allowed you to proceed, so I'm assuming the disc is fine. I'm just wondering if it may be an iffy optical drive. I've used USB optical drives that were bus powered that were unstable until an external power source was connected.

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
What optical drive are you using? When Boot Camp Assistant asked you to insert your Windows disc, it allowed you to proceed, so I'm assuming the disc is fine. I'm just wondering if it may be an iffy optical drive. I've used USB optical drives that were bus powered that were unstable until an external power source was connected.

I'm using a Samsung SE-S084D Drive, and a Sony Media 4GB/Sandisk Cruzer (neither worked).

The USB drive and the USB flash sticks were all plugged into my main Mac USB ports, all of which work fine

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I've never tried creating bootable Windows installer flash drives before, so I can't comment on the success rate of using that method.

Have you tried booting while holding the Option key when your Windows installer disc is in the optical drive?

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
I've never tried creating bootable Windows installer flash drives before, so I can't comment on the success rate of using that method.

Have you tried booting while holding the Option key when your Windows installer disc is in the optical drive?

That is progress; what happens now is I get a selection of what to boot from. If I boot from anything other than the Macintosh HD, it will give me black screens or (in the case of the USB) it will say:
Remove all media
Press any key.

However, that got me closer :p

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
Apparently it's a problem with drivers and installing Windows 8 works. Are you able to try this?

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently it's a problem with drivers and installing Windows 8 works. Are you able to try this?

I don't have a copy, but theoretically I could get one.

Would I be able to downgrade to 7 from there, do you think?
The softwares that I need don't run on it (yet).

EDIT: Or upgrade to windows 7, whichever way you look at it.

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Wow. I was unaware of the driver issue that TinHead88 mentioned. The link that he provided sounds like it should resolve your issue whether you are installing Windows 7 or 8. Nice find!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Try Virtual Box 4 as well. It is free, really mature nowadays, and running Windows next to OSX is not getting easier. Full screen you won't notice you run VM, unless maybe when you compare game FPS with Bootcamp.
Oh, and you did not max out RAM. Max is 16Gb at the moment as nobody tried 16Gb modules yet.
Installation is also a breeze. Way easier than on a PC or with Bootcamp, you don't need to worry about separate volumes/partitioning (the disk is a auto-resizing disk image file), and a VM blows real installs out of the water when it comes to boot times, not mentioning the hassle of rebooting.

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Try Virtual Box 4 as well. It is free, really mature nowadays, and running Windows next to OSX is not getting easier. Full screen you won't notice you run VM, unless maybe when you compare game FPS with Bootcamp.
Oh, and you did not max out RAM. Max is 16Gb at the moment as nobody tried 16Gb modules yet.
Installation is also a breeze. Way easier than on a PC or with Bootcamp, you don't need to worry about separate volumes/partitioning (the disk is a auto-resizing disk image file), and a VM blows real installs out of the water when it comes to boot times, not mentioning the hassle of rebooting.

I'll definitely try that, thanks. I'd still prefer the rebooting thing but I take your point.

Now, I'm off to newegg to find 8GB sticks of RAM, and buy two of them :D Apple told me the max on mine was 8GB.

yaddam205

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Evening,

I'm in the same boat as most of you.

*New MBA 2013
*Installed 7 with bootcamp assistant.
*After Install keyboard and mouse stopped working.
*Unable to get past "Name PC" screen after install.

Afterwards I used the windows USB bootable tool to install a fresh version of 7 without bootcamp drivers. This also failed.

I'm at my wits end! I'm going to try a copy of windows 8 and use the bootcamp assistant.

Any tips?

calvindsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Evening,

*New MBA 2013

Afterwards I used the windows USB bootable tool to install a fresh version of 7 without bootcamp drivers. This also failed.

I'm at my wits end! I'm going to try a copy of windows 8 and use the bootcamp assistant.

Any tips?

I haven't gotten that far yet, I can't seem to install win7 so I tried an ISO of windows 8, in hopes that the previous comments may have had truth. That fixed the thumb drive problem immediately, and booted windows 8, but it wouldn't go past a 'Scanning for drivers, none found' stage.

While booting, you can hold down Option/CMD+R to get back to your mac (if you didn't already know, which you probably did, seeing as you're back here).

Thanks all for your help; now I just need to figure out how to install windows 8 so I can upgrade from 8 to windows 7 and then be happy...lol

Thanks again; this has gotten me farther than I could have gotten on my own.

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Before you get back into trying to install Windows, you said you've tried Wine and that Windows program you need to use won't work with it. Have you tried Crossover? That's like Wine but works well for some people. That might keep you from needing to install Windows. Although you said the program is a development engine, so it might not work in Crossover but it's worth a try. They have a free trial:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

If that won't work,

First, you need a USB flash drive because Bootcamp Assistant can't write the Bootcamp Windows drivers to a DVD that already has Windows on it.

Then just follow the Bootcamp Assistant instructions below, here is the instructions from Apple, and below is a third party instructions with full photos of every step (but the first - check Install Windows and Download Windows Setup Software, leave Create A Bootable Windows Flash Drive unchecked if you are using a Windows DVD - check it only if you are using a Windows ISO on the hard drive):

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.8.pdf

http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15/using-boot-camp-to-install-windows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/

If you are looking at the step by step pictures, ignore the part about the OS X disc at the end if you are on 10.7 or 10.8 since there are no discs, the Bootcamp drivers will be on the flash drive but you do have to install them using the setup.exe file on the flash drive once Windows is installed.

yaddam205

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Ok,

Apple needs to update bootcamp assistant for the new haswell chips.

I took this from the apple support forums. It's a little odd, but works flawlessly.

- Put a copy of windows 64 bit iso on desktop
- Ran bootcamp wizard and selected create boot disk and download latest software (not sure exact wording but you get the idea)
- Ran bootcamp wizard again and only selected downloaded latest software
- Ran bootcamp wizard again and choose install windows

Why you have to install/download the windows drivers twice I have no idea, but it works.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100623?start=0&tstart=0

Good luck.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Evening,

*New MBA 2013

Any tips?

Use the Apple drivers that should have been created with boot camp.

1) Just use your keyboard to type in the password for windows. (you can use tab and arrow keys to get around)

2) open explorer - (ctrl e)

3) navigate to drivers and run the setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.