Boot Camp fu**ed up my hdd!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Akion, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Akion macrumors newbie

Akion

I just upgraded to Leopard and well updated etc etc etc.

But then I wanted to try and use Boot Camp to partition and then install Vista since I want to try it out.

Well it started partitioning 5gb for me and after a while it threw in a screen where it says in many languages that I need to hold my power button down for a while to restart the computer. Then I held it, the computer shut down, and then I started it again. And started boot camp again, it gives me some crazy numbers on my hhd's: [​IMG]

What the fu**?!?!

Then I checked with the HDD program under utilities and it says that I need to repair the disks, well I click repair, and it just says that I need to backup and format?

I just also backed up 50gb (everything i think?) with Time Machine, so if I format everything and reinstall the Leopard, and then start Time Machine, it can restore my system with all of the software and images and everything I have to back the way it was? Without restoring the fu** up of Boot Camp?

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I had the same problem. You need to boot off the Mac OS X install disc again and repair your disk. (Or restore from Time Machine backups, but this will take longer) Then later if you want to use Boot Camp, you need to boot from the OS X install disc again and make a partition around the same size as you want your Windows partition, then delete that partition and then using the slider bring your old partition back to the full capacity. Then run Boot Camp again and it should work without a Kernel Panic anymore.

3. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Sorry, didn't read below the picture.
    Do you have a backup before the Kernel Panic (lots of languages screen) on Time Machine? That's what I did and it restored everything but the wallpaper (which I think I deleted). Restoring it will erase your current HD, but I'm not sure if Time Machine backed up the Boot Camp f* up. BTW, you can restore from the OS X install disc by pulling down the Utilities Menu.

4. Akion thread starter macrumors newbie

Akion

Oh jesus

Well thanks, I'll have to try with Time Machine, since I backed everything up but just can't remember the exact times, how can I get when Boot Camp ****ed up? Can I get Boot Camp Assistant in Time Machine?

ps. In OS X Tiger I had the Finnish language, now I just think it sucks, I would rather have everything in English, could it be changed somehow? So that it doesn't fu** up any shortcuts etc?

5. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Using your Leopard install disk, you can format your harddrive to just one partition then restore your whole drive (BootCamp not included) from your Time Machine backup. Assuming it was the partition that screwed things up, you should be fine just restoring from the most recent backup. If you've got 50 gig, it will take about 2 hours (from experience). Then you can try running the BootCamp assistant again (if you dare).

To change it to English: System Preferences > International > Language then drag English to the top of the list.